no sound, please help

stephen0205 18:54 14 Mar 07

hi there i recently had windows vista im myacer aspire laptop and was working fine, but i felt vista was sluggish and i have reinstalled windows xp, i used my laptop driver disk and all works fine exept for my sound, i installer and reinstalled the drivers and nuthing worked, i tried add new hardware, installed the latest drivers for the hardware and im all out of ideas now. can some one help., Is there software that can help me diagnos the system for faulty or missing hardware.

woodchip 19:01 14 Mar 07

Look in Device Manager to see if you have any yellow Icons. Right click
My Computer\Properties\Hardware\Device Manager

knowyour rights! 20:34 14 Mar 07

I've just had a bit of a problem with my sound.
Dived into device manager, checked connections tracked all the wires.
Turned out the manual control was turned down!

emmybee 21:12 14 Mar 07

I had a similar problem a few weeks ago and it turned out to be a corrupt audio file in Windows (don't ask me which one!). The solution was to format my hard drive and do a clean install of Windows XP. My PC now has full sound.

bruno 07:45 15 Mar 07

Cick on the loudspeaker icon in the taskbar and make sure the MUTE box is not ticked.It has done this by itself on me a couple of times.

palinka 14:32 15 Mar 07

Lots of threads on this subject over the years; depends which sounds you want to hear. Try this :
control panel>sounds & audio devices: set Volume about a quarter the way across; now go into "program events" and scroll to the "event" you want to hear; then use the arrow beside the "sounds" box to select a sound - or none.

stephen0205 22:13 15 Mar 07

em the device manager dosent seem to think there is an audio card in my laptop, ill reformat it and let u gys know, but thanks for the help

stephen0205 20:06 18 Mar 07

still not there, dosent show in device manager and when the drivers are installed nuthing happens.

skidzy 20:50 18 Mar 07

Did you get the motherboard driver and utilities disc with the lappy,If so run this.

Also run Belarc to see if you have onboard sound,im guessing the controller is missing.Look under multimedia for your sound click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…