No sound playing DVDs with XP Home media player

Crazy surfer 10:35 30 Jan 03

I am running XP Home and also have Audigy.

Any ideas? I have tried to make sure that all of the sound settings are correct but some of the ones within the Media Player are not accessable -such as adusting the graphic equaliser - so I am thinking that it may be in conflict with something else.

Unfortunately I bought a Carrera and they are no help, don't return emails and my phone runs out of battery before I can get through to the help line.

€dstow 10:41 30 Jan 03

Ensure you digital audio enabled.

Right click My computer and click "manage". Open device manager and find the DVD drive. Go into Properties and ensure "Enable Digital Audio - - " is ticked.

If that doesn't work, come back and someone more expert can help!!

€d

MalcSP 10:42 30 Jan 03

Have you just had a DVD player installed? If so, does it play ordinary CDs? If not, it is possible that there is no sound cable attached to your DVD. It is a two wire cable that attaches to the sound card from the rear of the DVD (RHS looking from the front). Its worth looking at this before frustrating yourself with anything else. If you have a CDROM also installed then this is simpler. Take the cable from the back of the CDROM and plug it into the DVD.

€dstow 10:44 30 Jan 03

If digital audio is enabled you don't need a separate audio lead.

€d

Crazy surfer 12:37 30 Jan 03

I am digital audio enabled and it does play CDs with sound.

Any other ideas?

©®@$ђ 12:42 30 Jan 03

which software do you use to play dvd's,

i.e power dvd or windvd

€dstow 12:47 30 Jan 03

You may be better using a dedicated DVD software package rather then relying on the "do it all but none of it very well" WMP.

Try one of the things that ©®@$? suggests. There are others as well that a Google search will bring up. Didn't you get any DVD software with your computer/DVD drive?

€d

©®@$ђ 12:51 30 Jan 03

windows media player does not play dvd's unless there is a decoder installed

once the decoder is installed (i.e power dvd or windvd) then media player is able to play dvd's.

if you can play dvd's but with no sound then you have a decoder installed, so then you need to find the decoder installed and do what €dstow said, use that instead of media player.

Crazy surfer 14:11 30 Jan 03

Thanks guys. Sounds like the software I should have got with the PC is in order. I need to try Carrera again or will download WinDVD.

Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…