No sound on PC, please help!

daniellabell 19:05 03 Jan 09

Hi, i'm wondering if anyone could help me. My dad has a PC that is relatively new, for some reason the sound has stopped working. i've tried to do a system restore on the pc to a date when the sound did work and when i try to do this after a couple of minutes it comes up saying that:

Your computer cannot be restored to xxx date, software distributions services 3.0, restoration incomplete.

I have tried to do it to different dates in the year but again the same message comes up. Also another message appears, i'm not sure if its related but it says:

RUNDLL
Error loading c drive programme 1myweb//bin.....plugin.dll

Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong with it and why the sound no longer works? it does not require speakers so has internal sound if thats what you call it! i've noticed that it doesn't have any option on the bottom right in the toolbar to change volume, theres no volume options at all.

Any ideas on what could be wrong with it would be gratefully received!

brundle 19:23 03 Jan 09

Do a full scan with some antispyware software click here and the installed antivirus software, remove anything they find, then disable the antivirus software before running the system restore (disconnect from the internet while your AV software is disabled).

The error message indicates a problem with MyWebSearch which is an ad-serving app that comes bundled with some software. Its not actually malicious but better off removed. Perhaps the AV software removed it already, or is preventing the system-restore occuring because it's treating that file as an infection. click here

brundle 19:23 03 Jan 09

Run the antispyware software again after the system restore has been done. Tackle the sound issue after that.

MAJ 19:30 03 Jan 09

It looks like you have, or have had, a spyware infection. Try downloading, installing, updating and run scans with both MBAM click here
and SuperAntispyware click here

If you already have done that (it appears you might have) then Windows is searching for a file that your antivirus/antimalware/antispyware software has already removed. To stop Windows looking for that file on startup, go to start > Run and type in:

msconfig

and press Return. Click the Startup tab and look for a mention of the file that appears in the error message and untick that entry. Click Apply and OK to exit, see if it restarts without error. You could also download and install CCleaner click here and do a cleanup of all temp files using that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac