No sound output from laptop

Rosalie86 17:10 03 Oct 08

Hi everyone, I'm having trouble with a laptop I was given. There doesn't seem to be any sound output!! I'm not sure how to up-date the drivers for the sound card and the PC's not on-line..

Thanks

ambra4 17:24 03 Oct 08

Make and model and OS would help with finding the correct audio driver

woodchip 19:04 03 Oct 08

Have you tried pressing the fn Blue key plus the one with a speaker on it with looks like sound also blue.

There may be a wheel to turn sound up they all differ

woodchip 19:06 03 Oct 08

To check if sound drivers are loaded. Check Device Manager for yellow icons and on what?

Rosalie86 14:09 08 Oct 08

Thanks for getting back!!

Listed in the device manager I have 'ESS Maestro2e PCI Audiodrive.. which I think is the driver.. Right down the bottom of tghe screen in devise manager it says WDM TV Audio, WDM Video Audio Crossbar and WDM Video Capture.. all three have a yellow balloon next to them.. click it and it says code 10 error// would this be my problem..

Belatucadrus 15:00 08 Oct 08

click here for the Microsoft knowledge base bumph on code 10 errors, which does seem to indicate it's a driver issue.
click here for the ESS download page.

woodchip 18:44 08 Oct 08

Yes you can choose update drivers, It may find and load them from the net

Rosalie86 09:17 09 Oct 08

Thanks everyone I'll try these when I get home tonight. Someone said about the audio sound could be turn off in the 'bios'... I 've opened the Bios screen but can't see where it may be.... Any ideas anyone as I say it's 'windows 2000'...

Thanks

woodchip 13:04 09 Oct 08

You need to get rid of the yellow icons in Device Manager, it will then work

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now