NO SOUND FROM ONBORAD SOUND CARD

sharid 23:10 29 Oct 04

I there is any body out there who could please help me. I have only had the PC for 3 weeks AND i NO LONGER get any sound from the onboard sound card. I have done all the checks, like testing speakers and checking cabels. I have also tried to reinstall the drivers but still nothing happens. I get feedback from the speakers when the dvd/cd is spinning in its drive but not audio. e.g music or dvd audio sound from dvd. The PC also does not play system sounds, again when i use my mouse i get a squeaking sound from my speakers. I looked into system info and it gave this message.Your soundcard does not support hardware buffering, sound will only play back from software buffers. I checked the manual and i do not have FRAME BUFFER SIZE or AUTO PRECHARGE WRITE in my BIOS. please could you help I have tried speaking to a tech. heres some of the fancy suff he said.

1)Did you update the nvidia media driver from Microsoft? If you did the sound will not work.

my-answer: i used the driver disk when i first lost sound. I got code 10 error message when installing nVidia WDM Video capture universal, but still no-sound. I thought the error message was the problem. i then used windows xp, that never worked either, i uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled using the driver-disk provided, still no sound. some drivers said location UNKNOWN, is this the problem?

2)What kind of display card are you using? NF7 does not have WDM video driver?

my-answer: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X [Display adapter]Iiyama LS704U [Monitor] (15.7"vis, April 2004)

3)Right, that is meaing you have the NF7M,please make sure. 1, The FPIO2 jumpers are in the correct position. 2, DO not install the Microsoft nVidia media driver.if these 2 are positive and the sound is not working, the board is faulty

my-answer:im gone need a hammer to open the dam thing as it doesn't have any screw at the back.

4)There is a Front Panel Input Output 2 (FPIO2) header, there should be 2 jumpers on this header. If these is not, then the sound to the back will not work.

I have no idea what hw is on about, I can't open the pc unless i have a hammer. i switched the pc off the correct way one-night the next day there was no sound, so therefore is this a hardware problem?

If any one can fix my pc i will lable them GOD
cheers

Strawballs 23:20 29 Oct 04

When sound disapppeared had you been doing something in the bios as some boards you can dissable onboard sound from bios.

sharid 23:36 29 Oct 04

not that i can recall, but i do think that my bios has changed as i had quite a lot of virses, is there any whay i can sort out my sound through bios

Strawballs 23:44 29 Oct 04

If you know what the make and model of the motherboard is go to their web site and download and reinstall the sound drivers if you don't put sissoft sandra into a search engine find the site and download it and run it and it will tell you what you want to know about your system

hugh-265156 23:50 29 Oct 04

i would try system restore first as its easy to do if you can remember a date that all was well with your sound.

click 'start/all programs/accessories/system tools/system restore' click 'restore my computer to an earlier time' and then select a date from the little calendar that you knew the sound worked ok. and click ok.

you wont lose any recent files by doing this and its reversible if it doesnt work, just run system restore again and select 'undo my last'

sharid 23:57 29 Oct 04

ive done both things and nothing, i even spoke to the manafactures tech. when i said the only way i could open the PC was with a hammer he stopped responding to my e-mail, do any of you know enough about bios to guide me as they manuals are crap. I think the sound card might just be disabled as i have the hardware disks. and all i did was switch the pc of the right way one night. and now look at me I have a brand new pile of junk.

hugh-265156 00:02 30 Oct 04

have you changed any setting in the bios since you have had your computer? if not then leave it alone you will only do more damage.

have a look in 'start/control panel/system/hardware/device manager' or start/control panel/performance and maintenance/system/hardware/device manager' and look for any exxlamaition marks or red x`s beside any of your hardware. is ther anything showing here?

hugh-265156 00:04 30 Oct 04

erm.. can you also elaborate a wee bit on what you mean by "all i did was switch the pc of the right way one night" please.

THE TERMINATOR 00:05 30 Oct 04

Do you have yellow exclamation marks in device manager (right click on MY COMPUTER icon and select properties>Hardware>Device manager) and what does it say if you select the properties?

whybe 00:09 30 Oct 04

Have you checked that the sound has not been muted?
click start/contol panel/sounds, speech, audio devices / adjust system volume. Make sure there is not a tick in the 'Mute' box.

THE TERMINATOR 00:14 30 Oct 04

Sorry just re-read your Thread. If you have only had your pc for 3 weeks, and it was new when you bought it, you should be able to take it back to where you bought it from and let them sort it out for you....T

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…