No sound and no modem

Jak_1 20:11 25 Oct 06

A friend lost sound on his pc about 2 weeks ago after moving the machine upstairs, xp-home, onboard sound. All connections checked, all seated properly. This week the modem is playing up, no dialing tone, modem diagnostics reveal nothing. Internal 56k modem. Was thinking, could this be a psu problem, all else seems fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Jak_1 22:07 25 Oct 06

bump

skidzy 22:20 25 Oct 06

This little tester is a very handy piece of kit to have by you.click here
I bought one to test a dodgey psu,and a new one for my rebuild.

Hope this helps Jak,sorry not really a straight answer though.

I guess you tried a system restore to before the machine was moved to upstairs.

Miros 22:35 25 Oct 06

I have just had a hell of a problem after a full reinstall of OS could not get ISP to find modem, turns out I had in the meantime moved a phone and not fitted it with a filter, once fitted everything was A OK again, hope this helps? check your filters on all phones.
Spent several frustrating hours sorting this out, without the aid of this excellent forum. couldn't get on line :-(

Just reread your first Contribution think I'm up the wrong tree, I have broadband, think your talking about dial up? I will throw it in anyway for what it's worth.

Jak_1 00:27 26 Oct 06

Thanks for your replies, I am leaning towards a dodgy psu. The pc was built for him not shop bought so in the first instance I will advise him to replace the psu prob with a higher wattage. He is an electrician so he should be able to master that, lol.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now