No Sound from my laptop

Tycho 18:21 07 Nov 09

My laptop is giving me the usual start up sounds but I can't get any sound from a DVD.

I am using Vista Home

Here's what I have tried so far.

1. Checked volume control on WMP
2. Opened Realtek HD audio manager. There is a tab for Microphone effects and for default formats but none for the speakers.
3. Opened the device manager. Under Sound, video and game controllers there are two items: a) Realtec High Definition Audio. b) Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device. Opening the Properties General tab on the Realtek gives Location 0(Internal High definition Audio Bus and the device status as "This dvice is working properly. The Unimodem is not relevant here(?) but it says it is working properly.
4. Using the control panel and opening the Sound section Playback tab says "No audio devices installed" so that must be the source of the problem, I suppose.

The main query, of course is: What do I do about it?

I would also be interested to know where the audio device went. I used to be able to play DVD's and iTunes without any problems.

In hopes.

Nick

johnnyrocker 20:24 07 Nov 09

not sure of vista but have you looked in device manager for yellow question marks? it may be just a corrupt driver

johnny

johnnyrocker 20:25 07 Nov 09

sorry i did not fully read your post

johnny

Tycho 00:19 08 Nov 09

Looks as if I fixed it myself.

I let Windows look for a latest driver on line. It didn't find one so I thought that a restart was worth trying.

It was.

It works.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…