no sound from my dvd writer

Old Geeza 15:55 28 Dec 07

I have just installed a dvd writer in place of my dvd player in my pc, but I cant get any sound from it....the dvd player worked fine without a sound cable and I assume that the dvd writer should also do the same....also my pc is also reporting in my computer that I still have the dvd player as well as a cd writer(which I do have still connected) and the dvd writer. I have rebooted a few times but no change. When I switched back on after the installation it picked up the dvd writer no problem. Any ideas guys.

Technotiger 16:14 28 Dec 07

Are the Jumpers on your new dvd writer set correctly to whether it is a Slave or Master?

Also check the Properties of your new drive to see that they are set accordingly. (Right-click on dvd in My Computer etc)

Stuartli 16:54 28 Dec 07

In Device Manager, highlight your optical drive(s)>Properties>Properties tab>tick Enable Digital Audio on this drive.

Stuartli 16:56 28 Dec 07

I would keep your rewriter purely for burning and use the ROM drive for installing software, listening to audio disks etc.

Old Geeza 18:10 28 Dec 07

Jumpers set correctly and properties are all ok, also enable digital audio is ticked, but still no sound.

Old Geeza 19:24 28 Dec 07

have just played a cd using the dvd writer and sound is fine....????

Old Geeza 19:40 28 Dec 07

should I have to set the region in the properties of the dvd writer to be able to get sound from the dvd?

Technotiger 19:56 28 Dec 07
  Technotiger 20:06 28 Dec 07

Or it might be a Codec problem - download and install this complete XP codec pack.

Technotiger 20:07 28 Dec 07
  Old Geeza 20:26 28 Dec 07

Thanks very much Technotiger, the codec pack seems to have sorted it out.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…