no sound, massive text, big problems!!

Senior82 19:49 25 Sep 06

Hi all

right, on saturday was just typing away when my taskbar changed - on it's own - from the XP blue style, to the old classic Grey style. I went to change it back and then everything turned black, my windows, taskbar, everything. Couldn't then try to change again, due to not being able to see anything to click on!!

Decided to try to Reboot from CD, but it seemed to re-install windows. I had to fill in all registration details etc, and when i first logged on, everything on my machine appeared to have been wiped. All my applications had gone (eg, messenger, webcam software, games) but I later found my music files and photo's tucked away!

Tried playing music but it doesn't work, PC says I have no speakers! Tried reinstalling the software for my speakers but no joy. Also, i then turned off sounds, so that when I get a warning/error message, the PC doesn't make the annoying beeping noise...but it still makes the noise!!

Also all the text is now HUGE, i think i could be stuck in safe mode, have tried the options when you press F8 at start up without any joy...

Another weird bit, my speakers won't work, but I have a wireless mouse & keyboard. I had to install software to get them to work and there was always an icon at the bottom right of the task bar...the icon has now gone and the software has disappeared from the start up menu...yet the mouse and Keyboard still work!!!

I'm using XP, any help/tips would be really great, any questions, just ask!!

Andrew

VoG II 20:14 25 Sep 06

Right click the desktop, Properties, Settings tab, increase the screen resolution.

Senior82 20:31 25 Sep 06

Already tried that one.

My monitor then throws a wobbly and says 'signal frequancy is out of range'...which it never did before!! AARRGGHH!!

Senior82 21:21 25 Sep 06

anyone?

VoG II 21:25 25 Sep 06

Do you have a disk with the drivers for your graphics card and/or motherboard. If so run it/them.

skidzy 21:25 25 Sep 06

If you can backup the music and photo's,and if you have the recovery disc i would use this.

Or maybe try this first if possible

System File Checker:

sfc /scannow (note the space) click here

Senior82 21:30 25 Sep 06

Just tried the scannow thingy and my PC just crashed straight away

The error report says this:

Error caused by a device driver

Thank you for sending an error report to Microsoft.

Error report summary

Error type : Windows stop error (A message appears on a blue screen with error code information)
Solution available? : No (see Next steps)
What does this error mean? : Windows has encountered an error from which it cannot recover and needs to restart
Cause : Unknown device driver
Computer symptoms : A message appears on a blue screen with error code information (for example: e.g. 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)
Additional steps for you to take : Important: Please continue to send error reports so analysts at Microsoft can study and try to correct the problem as quickly as possible

Information about this error

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

skidzy 21:37 25 Sep 06

Does windows load,if so..goto to device manager and look for any yellow exclaimation marks.

Start / Right Click My Computer / Properties / Hardware / Device Manager

Post back what you find if any ?

skidzy 21:40 25 Sep 06

click here may help you.

Senior82 22:05 25 Sep 06

yes, two yellow exclamation marks on 'Other Devices'

Multimedia Audio controller
Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

skidzy 22:10 25 Sep 06

Try updating the driver first and if no joy uninstall them.XP will load the drivers on reboot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…