No sound device!!!

spuds 13:01 24 Feb 07

Set-up a new computer the other day, and commenced to try Media Player, but was informed that there is no sound device. The computer as all the pink,blue,green on the rear of the case, so I assume the sound device as been installed correctly!.

If that is not the case, then I have this in mind. Ebuyer click here (quickcode 106543), unless you can suggest something different. Not into gaming, just basics.

Technotiger 13:04 24 Feb 07

Hi, I think you should first ensure that on-board sound is enabled in the BIOS before spending your hard-earned cash.

rdave13 13:56 24 Feb 07

Also right click my computer, click on manage, click on device manager. Any question marks under "sound,video and game controllers"? Maybe the drivers need to be reinstalled.

woodchip 13:58 24 Feb 07

If it's got the Connections it should have a Sound on board or PCI sound card. Check device Manager for yellow icons under sound media I think you will find that Sound Drivers have not yet been loaded

Technotiger 14:01 24 Feb 07

btw, your link only brings up the ebay Home Page, but you should be able to get something like a simple Soundblaster card, without all the bells&whistles, for just a few quid, if needed.

woodchip 14:10 24 Feb 07

A PCI card can be had for as little as £4 from a computer Fair

woodchip 14:12 24 Feb 07

PS when you say it as all the sockets. If they are in a PCI slot they will be all together in a plate. If onboard these will be with the rest of the sockets at the back. Not on a Narrow Plate

spuds 15:31 24 Feb 07

Checked the device, which stated 'working properly'. Then checked for drivers, which apparently were not installed!. Due to having no drivers supplied with the computer, let Windows locate and install the necessary requirements.

After the installation, the computer crashed a number of times, but as now self corrected.

Just ran a couple of CD's, and the sound is excellent.

Will tick this as resolved. Many thanks to each and everyone for you kind input on this problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…