No sound (and computer-illiterate!)

AmandaB 13:56 02 Aug 06

I can't get any sound out of my computer (quite an old PC with no extra soundcards or anything installed). I bought some new speakers, thinking this might sort it out, but no luck. From reading other postings, it sounds like I need to check whether my on-board sound has somehow become disabled but I don't know how (what are these BIOS anyway and where do I find them? - sorry sounds stupid I know!) Hope someone can help. AmandaB

sean-278262 13:58 02 Aug 06

Before going into that have you checked the speaker icon (double click the icon in the bottom right corner of your screen. On win xp it may need you to click the left arrow to see it. Make sure the speaker isnt muted.

AmandaB 15:17 02 Aug 06

Have tried that and still no sound - thanks anyway.

Dean-521792 15:27 02 Aug 06

go to control panel, then go to Sounds and Audio Devices, after that go to harware, properties, driver, update driver.

try if this work or no and then let me know

Dean-521792 16:01 02 Aug 06

any new what happened

AmandaB 16:09 02 Aug 06

Sorry for delay in replying - had to force fish fingers down stroppy child! In my control panel, there's no `sound and audio devices'. There's 'sounds' but that seems to be setting the bleeps and alerts for various things and there's 'multimedia' which I've explored but there's no update driver in there. I'm looking in the control panel which is in the my computer bit- hope that's the right one!

Dean-521792 16:18 02 Aug 06

what is your WIN XP,98,ME....etc

AmandaB 16:25 02 Aug 06

Windows 98 - at least that's what it says when I switch the thing on!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:27 02 Aug 06

What operating system?
Make and model of PC?

Looks like no sound drivers loaded in device manager.

You will need to know the type of sound card (on board sound chip) you have fitted. SIW click here will tell you all equipment install in your PC.

Did you have a CD with motherboard drivers with the PC? If not we can find the drivers on the net.

To check in BIOS if on board sound is enabled:
Reboot the PC on the first screen there will be message "Press ??? to enter setup" or something simular, ??? is the key to press may well be Del F2 Esc etc. depending on make of PC.
once in BIOS look for Advance setting soun should be in there, do not forget to save and exit once enabled.

AmandaB 17:21 02 Aug 06

I feel like an idiot but where in the system info programme do I find the information about the soundcard? I've found audio and video codecs but there's lots of things in there! Am afraid I don't have the cd anymore (have moved house several times since buying the computer)

AmandaB 17:34 02 Aug 06

Have finally found the sound thing in the BIOS and it is indeed disabled so I clicked to enable it then it said it couldn't find a driver for this device. What info do I need - and where do I find it! - to get the driver installed properly?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…