No sound on computer

New Reader 17:18 02 Jan 03
  New Reader 17:18 02 Jan 03

My system was bought with Windows ME and a package of extra software including Games e.g. Frogger, Tetrimania, Cube Hopper, Red Shift 3, Pong & many more.
All games & programmes worked well.
I then had problems with my computer and had it changed to Windows 98 by a friend who is a computer technician. All Microsoft packages still work Ok , but I started having problems with sound - (sometimes it was there, sometimes not) Most of the games did not run properly (18 in all ), there was no sound, and some showed errors e.g. - did not add with wt- malloch, error code 800EDIE, Quick time not available
(I downloaded Quick time but still no difference.)
A couple of weeks ago I did checks on DirectX 7 which was on my computer and it gave the following errors; Direct sound test – failure at step 10 (secondary buffer) HRESULT=OX8878001e (control not available)
Direct music test - failure at step 6 (activating the Idirect music port) HRESULT = ox8000ffff (unexpected error)
I have since downloaded DirectX 8.1 from the Microsoft web site, thinking that an update was needed - now I have no sound on my computer at all, no games will play and I can’t play the CD’s that I have saved on Real Player (Media player was also one of the programmes that stopped working on transfer to Windows 98.)
I have gone through the Microsoft trouble-shooter (twice) trying to sort this but to no avail. Please can you advise as I am now at the end of my tether with it? I am not an expert on computers so any simple advice will be greatly appreciated.

L@@K @ ME! 19:24 02 Jan 03

Do a clean reinstall(preferebly ME) after formatting your hard drive!....You now have so much confusion its better to start afresh.its pretty easy to install windows and the only way to learn is to do it yourself.Your friends are never there when you need them!

Quiller. 20:21 02 Jan 03

Is sound on board or sound card?

It may simple as the sound card is working loose.

If you have a card, unscrew it and reseat it. Push quite firmly and screw it back on.

Quiller. 20:21 02 Jan 03

Is sound on board or sound card?

It may simple as the sound card is working loose.

If you have a card, unscrew it and reseat it. Push quite firmly and screw it back on.

polymath 20:52 02 Jan 03

When a friend's sound diappeared, it was just too much stuff in the System Tray, loading automatically whether wanted in a session or not, & hogging memory. Games & jukeboxy things were the culprits.
Have you tried start, run, msconfig, Startup tag, & unticking thing you know aren't essential for starting the system?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…