No sound from CD & CD/DVD players.

carper 13:31 21 Mar 07

Hi, I am looking for advise regarding my loss of sound from my PC CD and CD/DVD players.I am running XPHome SP2. When I load a CD or DVD the disc is recognised with the tracks etc., but when I click onto the track it shows as "playing", but there is no sound.The same things occurrs when I have tried to download the racks into "My Music" Sound is OK on streamed radio and also on video which I am in the course of editing.Normal beeps etc. occur on windows and pictures are shown on the DVD. I have run diskcheck and removed upper and lower filters etc. but no joy. Might I be able to do a disc repair with my OEM disc or am heading for a reinstall?? I have a suspicion, and it is no more that, that it has occurred since I installed a wireless adaptor for my laptop. Any help will be greatly appreciated. regards Carper

skidzy 13:34 21 Mar 07

Driver conflict maybe ?

Check device manager for the yellow exclaimation marks.

Also check in control audio settings.And of course that the sound is not muted.

skidzy 13:35 21 Mar 07

Control Panel i meant...

carper 15:28 21 Mar 07

No exclamation marks in Device manager. Yellow Question mark against PCI simple communications controller. Detail says no driver loaded but cannot locate a driver. Thanks anyway Carper

dazwm 15:56 21 Mar 07

Have you onboard sound card or seperate sound card? If it is onboard put the mobo disc that came with the PC in the CD drive right click on the audio in device manager and select update/install drivers. The same applies to the seperate soundcard put that cd in and do the same.

skidzy 15:56 21 Mar 07

If you have a pci sound card installed,you will need this driver.If you have the mobo driver and utilities disc,run this.

carper 11:09 22 Mar 07

Thanks for your replies. Problem seems to have been with Media Player. I have now installed Media Player 11 and everything is fine. Regards Carper

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5