No sound from Asus A7V8X-X motherboard

cyberphobic 09:21 21 Dec 04

I've recently completed a new build (Athlon 2500 overclocked to 3200, 120GB HDD, 512 MB DDR, Sapphire Radeon G/card and Collermaster Aero7 cooling)It all flies along brilliantly but I can't get any sound. The mobo was a "blowout" deal from Ebuyer which meant that it came with no manual or CD so I have downloaded the correct audio drivers from the Asus website (SoundMAX 512.01.3663). I know the speakers work OK, I know I'm using the correct output socket on the mobo, everything looks fine in Device Manager, all drivers are shown as working properly, SoundMAX is sitting on the taskbar and looks OK and I have checked that the Audio controller is enabled in the BIOS - but still no sound. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong please?

Diodorus Siculus 09:24 21 Dec 04

Is there anything else in the BIOS relating to Audio? Failing that, do you have a soundcard that you could use to determine that it is not a windows problem?

Diodorus Siculus 09:26 21 Dec 04

Are there any BIOS updates available?

Naseby 2 09:26 21 Dec 04

Try going into avance sound from cotrol panel you may find you have no speakers setup Naesby

cyberphobic 09:40 21 Dec 04

Naseby - speakers appear to be set up OK
Diodorus Siculus no other mentions of Audio in the BIOS, disabled the audio controller while I was there, slotted in a soundcard and hey I've got sound. I would obviously like to get the soundMAX working though, where do I go from here?

Gongoozler 09:47 21 Dec 04

Hi cyberphobic. I am using the Asus A7V8X-X, and although I think it's a great board and does everything I would expect of it, in common with many integrated sound boards the sound quality is abysmal. The main problem is that it picks up signals from the other motherboard functions resulting in buzzes and other noises especially when the mouse is moved. My advice, therefore is to give up on the Soundmax and get a cheap PCI sound card. Even a £5 card from Ebuyer would be better than the onboard sound.

cyberphobic 09:55 21 Dec 04

Gongoozler - thanks for that, I thought that as everything else on this board is so good, the sound would match it -obviously not! The PCI soundcard which I have just put in (£10 from my local PC shop) will probably have to do then.

Stuartli 10:12 21 Dec 04

Is it a motherboard with onboard sound? This would need disabling.

Asus has - or at least had - an agreement with Elite Computer Systems (ECS) to produce the cheaper Asus boards and Elite mobos use onboard sound (particularly the excellent C-Media chipsets) extensively.

You could probably download the manual from the Asus website.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…