No sound at all

dagbladet 19:32 05 Jan 05

I was lucky enough to get a PC from my brothers office when they upgraded. It's a decent enough machine for what I want to do, which is mainly surfing and a little bit of digital image stuff.
An irritating snag however, is that there is no sound at all. It's an unbranded machine in a big, and quite frankly, ugly turquoise and beige case. It's specs according to belarc are as follows; 867 mhz PIII, Win ME, 128megs(which i'll up to 256, or even 512 when I can afford it), I assume the sound is on board. As the for the mobo i'm a little confused between two things, it's maybe VIA VT82C692BX, or another number given is merely 693-686?? If I go into sounds and multimedia properties in Control panel and click to preview any of the windows sounds I get the following message; "Windows cannot play the blah blah.wav file. The file may be damaged or use an unrecognized compression format. To resolve the problem replace the file or use add/remove programs to install audio compression. I have'nt a disk to replace the file and don't know where to start with 'audio compression'. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

dagbladet 19:36 05 Jan 05

I've just tried to play a track on Media player and recieved the following;

"0xC00D11BA: Cannot play the file
Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device, such as a sound card or sound controller. You may encounter this error message for one of the following reasons:

Your sound device is in use by another program. Quit other programs that may be using your sound device, and then try to play the file again.
Your sound device is not functioning properly. To troubleshoot the problem, see the Sound Troubleshooter in Windows Help or refer to your sound device's documentation.
You do not have a sound device installed on your computer. Install a sound device, and then try to play the file again."

gudgulf 19:57 05 Jan 05

What does Belarc advisor list as your audio device (it will be in the multimedia group).You should also look in device manager under sounds,video and game controllers to see what is listed there.In particular you are looking for any yellow exclaimation marks, which might point to the problem.If it is onboard sound it may be missing the drivers it needs.

dagbladet 21:12 05 Jan 05

Thanks gudgulf, the only thing listed in belarc under multimedia is the 'wave device for voice modem'. Same in device manager.

gudgulf 21:28 05 Jan 05

Have a look at the back of the computer and make sure there is a row of 3 small round sockets somewhere on the backplate..they mat be coloured green/pink/blue or marked with little (hard to see)symbols.I'm wondering if being a machine built for business it didn't have any sound device fitted.If you post the motherboard type (from Belarc) it might be possible to check if onboard sound should be present or find appropriate drivers from that.Failing that you could add a cheap pci soundcard.click here
There are a couple here at under a tenner.

dagbladet 13:40 06 Jan 05

Thanks again gudgulf, yes it has the audio ports fitted (green, blue, pink). The previous user had a few tracks loaded into windows media player. As I stated in the first post, i'm not sure which of the numbers refer to the mobo,VIA VT82C692BX or 693-686. Searches on google take me to the VIA site but I can't find the mobo drivers.

britto 17:47 06 Jan 05

have a look in start/settings/control panel / add remove programs/windows setup and make sure there is a tick in Multimedia

britto 17:51 06 Jan 05

I should have added double click Multimedia and check for a tick in audio compression and other boxes

dagbladet 19:03 06 Jan 05

I've still not resolved the original problem with the on-board sound. However, gudgulf gave me an idea, and I took the back of an old PII case in the garage, in there was the tiniest little sound card, goggled the serial number, downloaded the drivers (10mb = 43 mins), and Robert's a close relative. I got a message saying they weren't the best drivers or something but it sounds just fine so that'll do for me. Thanks gudgulf and britto.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…