No sound at all

Bazz2000 19:50 29 Nov 03

Can somebody please help me. Heres the story. I upgraded my mobo, ecerything worked except audio. I tried everything I could think of but stll no sound. I assumed it must of been a faulty board so I bought a pci soundcard. It all seemed to install properly but still no sound. Everything is there (I think) in device manager with no comflicts and no problems as far as I can see. The volume isnt turned down or muted. I dont get any audio at all. The sound seems to play but nothing comes out! Thanks uin advance guys

bta1 20:00 29 Nov 03

if the computer is telling you sound is playing, tehn i would assume this is a hardware fault.
Not to sound patronising but have you fiddled with you speaker leads etc.

bremner 20:05 29 Nov 03

Did the new motherboard come with a drivers disk and have you loaded the drivers for the on board sound.

On installing the PCI card did you disable the on board sound in the BIOS

Bazz2000 20:05 29 Nov 03

I know exectly what you mean. I have tried my desktop speakers, my stereo speakers and some headphones. I know for sure that the stereo speakers and the headphones both work. Here is a strange thing. It will recognise my voice when I use the microphone and I can record sound files but cant play them. Would it be worth trying uninstalling all the drivers that refer to audio and then reinstalling the ones on the disk for the soundcard?? Im at my wits end!!!

Bazz2000 20:16 29 Nov 03

The mobo did come with a drivers disk, and yes I installed all of them including sound, but I didnt ever manage to get the sound working on it, I assumed it was the mobo. What should I have listed in deice manager? there is a couple of things I wasnt quite sure of so I left them alone.

andrew-216448 20:23 29 Nov 03

try unistalling the pci soundcard and its driver, uninstall the driver of the onboard sound, reboot, look at the BIOS setting if the soung is enabled. then install the sound driver and reboot. that might help.

gudgulf 20:36 29 Nov 03

Have you looked in 'adjust audio properties' and checked that your pci card is listed as the default audio device?

One other thought ,are there any jumpers on the mobo that need changing in order to use a pci sound card?

©®@$? 20:37 29 Nov 03

check your audio settings

control panel/audio devices/

make sure the sound playback is set to your sound card and not your modem

Bazz2000 04:27 30 Nov 03

the pci card is the default. In adjust audio properties I can adjust away but still no sound. As someone said it sounds like a hardware fault, but as ive explained it cant be.Ive uninstalled all the sound drivers then reinstalled the from the software that came with the card. Everything seems to have gone through fine. Still the same problem though. The mobo is jumperless. What settings either in the BIOS or in windows could totally mute sound without an error message?? Would hitting it with a sledgehammer help things?

Bazz2000 04:56 30 Nov 03

please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

andrew-216448 06:24 30 Nov 03

check your BIOS settings. look at audio. if it is disabled, enable it. reload your driver for the sound. try it. what model is your mobo so that we could further help if in case the above suggestion will not help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…