no sound aftr xp sp2 re-install

heepster 18:33 03 Nov 08

I have a evesham machine and have had to re-install xp after a hard disk failure. Now I have no sound.This has happened before and I remember its a windows setting not drivers, as it has onboard graphics. Anyone know the answer to this? As I said i KNOW its a windows setting, but just cant remember how it was fixed last time.Made sure audio is set to automatic in control panel windows settings.

chub_tor 19:21 03 Nov 08

If you are certain that it is not a driver problem - ie you have been into Device Manager and made sure that it is working OK - then have you checked that it is not muted in Control Panel Sound?

woodchip 19:27 03 Nov 08

You need to load drivers, you have lost them on the old drive. If you look in Device Manager you will see a yellow icon under sound media

lotvic 19:56 03 Nov 08

After you had re-installed XP, did you also install the motherboard drivers?

heepster 21:17 03 Nov 08

I havent loaded the motherboard drivers as I thought it was a windows problem Will do that tomorrow and report back. many thanks.

woodchip 21:24 03 Nov 08

If its onboard Sound it will load the drivers for it

heepster 19:28 05 Nov 08

I have sound now after installing drivers from motherboard cd. Strange as the previous reinstall automatically loaded the drivers from xp.Many thanks for all your help. Much appreciated.

chub_tor 15:01 06 Nov 08

Nov 3 "its a windows setting not drivers, as it has onboard graphics. Anyone know the answer to this? As I said i KNOW its a windows setting"

Nov 3 "I havent loaded the motherboard drivers as I thought it was a windows problem"

Nov 5 "I have sound now after installing drivers"

Don't these things just come back to haunt us!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017