No sound after Windows Update

soulman1949 13:35 12 Jun 14

Following the latest Windows Update prior to which my system was functioning perfectly, I'm now having a number of problems, notably loss of sound.

After the updates were installed, the system rebooted twice and then I was faced with two messages both saying "Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Centre" had stopped working, but with no apparent loss of mouse or keyboard function. Then I noticed the Volume icon was missing in the System Tray and there was no sound.

Eventually I traced the problem down to the fact that Windows Audio Service and one or other of its dependencies had failed to start. I corrected these errors using "services.msc" and the sound returned, although I have not been able to restore the Volume icon. When I click on the Notification Area icons screen, it tells me that Windows Audio Service is not working, even though it is and the ability to make the Volume icon visible is greyed out.

However, everytime I reboot, I notice the Volume icon appears (albeit crossed out) fleetingly before disappearing and yet again the Windows Audio Service fails to start. I've now got to the stage where I have a shortcut to "services.msc" to restart Audio.

I really don't know where to start on this. I have reinstalled the Audio driver for my motherboard but to no avail.

I am running Windows 7 64 bit SP1, my motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-P43-ES3G v1.3, the Audio is provided by onboard Realtek.

Any thoughts anyone, please?

Thanks

Alan

Jollyjohn 13:50 12 Jun 14

Use System Restore to roll back to before the updates. If cured then install updates one at a time until you find the bad one, uninstall it, then hide it so you don't get offered it again.

If not cured by rollback it would suggest a hardware issue.

soulman1949 23:51 13 Jun 14

Thanks for the replies.

Tried a restore, which failed unfortunately.

As regards reinstalling the Audio drivers, I've already tried this, as mentioned in my original post.

I do have plans eventually to do a clean reinstall on my system, it's well over a year and I'm overdue for a "spring clean". In the meantime, I guess the only option is to start the Windows Audio service manually.

rdave13 23:57 13 Jun 14

Try the system file checker.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…