No sound after re-format

TommyRed 20:08 16 Aug 03

Having just had to re-format my HDD after a problem, I found I was a few drivers short and not having the disks (PC was given to me like that)I had to put it into a local computer shop to get the most important ones installed ie I had no modem so couldn't go online to sort this out. I think they've forgotten to load the sound drivers on, how do I check this and what type of driver is required. Rather than waiting until Monday I'd rather do it now, it's annoying to think I paid for the remaining drivers to be installed and they possibly haven't.

y_not 20:25 16 Aug 03

click here for a nice bit of software that will identify your soundcard and take you to the website for the drivers.

(Thanks to those that posted this site some time ago - I use it often)

TommyRed 20:38 16 Aug 03

Which of the three options do I choose?

woodchip 20:48 16 Aug 03

Middle one

rabadubdub 20:58 16 Aug 03

a useful link to add to my postings. Ta much.

TommyRed 21:08 16 Aug 03

y_not & woodchip, I've downloaded it so how do I get it to tell me if any of the drivers are missing?TR

SEASHANTY 21:24 16 Aug 03

You did not state your Windows O/S. Have you tried opening up "Sound and Audio" from the Control Panel options. XP has an option to troubleshoot from there. Is your sound on "mute"? Is the sound cable from your sound card connected? Have you checked in Device Manager to see what drivers your soundcard is using - if any? Is it all sound i.e. external speakers plus internal speaker? I think drivers would be a last resort. Is the volume control icon visible in the system tray - if so, can you check any slider controls on this - dependent upon which Windows O/S you are using. So many things to go wrong with sound besides the drivers.

woodchip 21:29 16 Aug 03

A quick check can you see a speaker in the system tray

TommyRed 21:44 16 Aug 03

Seashanty, sorry my OS is 98SE, there is no volume control icon in the system tray, how do I check if sound is on mute, I believe the soundcard is part of the motherboard so no loose cables, couldn't find anything in device manager relating to sound other than ' sound, video and game controller ' had two options 'gameport joystick ' and ' wave device for voice modem '. There are no yellow question/exclamation marks in device manager. I have Aida 32 installed but don't know how it will help. TR

TommyRed 21:48 16 Aug 03

When I try to install a game(Half-Life) I get the following error message:- MMSB Soundcard Problem. WaveOut format not supported. Does this shed any light on the problem. TR

woodchip 22:07 16 Aug 03

You need drivers loading

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…