no sound after PC restore

Andy_D 14:00 05 Jul 06

I recently had to reformat my PC & restore my Windows XP due to a virus and now don’t have any sound. I didn’t get any sound drivers when I bought the PC 2 years ago, just Windows XP recovery disk. According to my invoice my sound card is a Soundmax integrated digital audio; I’ve got Creative sound blaster SBS250 speakers; and 5.1 surround sound 6 channel audio.

I’ve managed to find and install the Soundmax driver, but there’s still no sound - can't play CD's. Windows media player & Real player work, except for no sound. The speakers are working & the Device Manager says that the Soundmax is working OK. The volume controls are all at max. Am I missing another piece of software? Looking at a screen dump in a document before the restore I’ve noticed that there is an icon on the right hand side toolbar that is no longer there. It is a right facing white triangle inside a blue circle, which is inside a grey square (similar to the Soundmax icon).

Any suggestions and advice appreciated.

Terry Brown 14:12 05 Jul 06

I presume you have checked the cables are connected in the correct sockets to the speakers.

Go to device manager, and check for yellow question marks, if found uninstall, then scan for hardware changes.

Go to Add/Remove (control Panel), look for 'sis' (sound drivers), remove & reboot machine, XP should find and install it's own sound drivers.

Hope this helps
Terry

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:11 05 Jul 06

Control Panel - sounds and audio devices - volume tab -check the mute box is NOT ticked.

Device manager - sound video game controllers are there any yellow exclamation marks against the drivers?

woodchip 17:16 05 Jul 06

Onboard sound, you need drivers from the motherboard site

woodchip 17:17 05 Jul 06

Go into Device Manager to see if you can see yellow icons. If so uninstall them then restart your computer

Andy_D 22:31 05 Jul 06

The only device with an explanation mark is under "Other Devices" & is a "universal serial bus (USB) controller". There are no explanation marks under "sound....."

The mute box are not ticked.

Stuartli 22:44 05 Jul 06

A possibility, also from Device Manager, is to check that Enable this device to be used is selected in the Properties menu of the device.

Andy_D 18:15 07 Jul 06

I've checked & the device is enabled. I'm a computer novice, so excuse this stupid question. To hear sounds on a PC do you need 2 sets of software - a driver for the motherboard & a driver for the soundcard? The reason why I ask is the "missing icon" comment in my opening post

"...Am I missing another piece of software? Looking at a screen dump in a document before the restore I’ve noticed that there is an icon on the right hand side toolbar that is no longer there. It is a right facing white triangle inside a blue circle, which is inside a grey square (similar to the Soundmax icon)."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017