No sound after clean XP install

snowymalone 17:10 25 Apr 08

Hi, first time poster here.

Following a chip burn-out (fan packed up and took the chips with it) I had to replace the motherboard on my HP Pavilion 808.uk and boosted the ram to 750 mb while I was at it. It took a while to find the NIC card and the TV tuner card, graphics drivers etc, but eventually it got there.

Problem is, the sound card - it didn't detect it at all initially, until it was enabled in BIOS, and then it started demanding a Realtek AC'97 driver. I d/l'd the most recent one from the realtek site, ran setup, and got the "This isn't signed off for WinXP" (or whatever) message. I ignored the warning, carried on installing, it was copying files to temp... then it crashed windows completely, shutting down the HD. On rebooting, I got the Error reporting box, did so, got the message back saying they didn't have a fix themselves but to look on the Realtek site for a solution (thanks, Mr Gates, you're a real help.)

Tried again, as on restart the wizard detected the card as new hardware, and the same thing happened straight away. Any ideas, anyone? Are there any generic drivers I could use instead? All help gratefully received (what with 4 gigs of MP3s on here and no way of playing them directly :(.)

Ditch999 17:18 25 Apr 08

Go to the HP website and download their driver for it.

Ditch999 17:20 25 Apr 08

These are your drivers from HP click here

snowymalone 07:11 26 Apr 08

Thanks a lot, Ditch999 - took a few attempts to get XP to accept them, but all is working now.

MS and HP. What can ya do?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5