no sound acer laptop

conrail 12:31 05 Jan 09

acer laptop usins xp pro sp3, no sound, sound options greyed out, have done a search on thid forum and tried various remedies, in device manager right clicked each sound option and properties, only one not greyed out is Crystal WDM AC'97 Driver for ICH4 and this is enabled, what am I doing wrong, please help

damen1786 12:47 05 Jan 09

ive had problems before with the sound card drivers on laptops i always needed the ac97 driver but looks like u have that? im not 100% sure but u may need a codec pack, my mum has the acer laptop and i seem to remember downloading the k-lite codec pack. worked for me, wait for someone else to reply though cos im not too sure!

conrail 15:29 05 Jan 09

thanks damen1786 but that did not work

damen1786 15:40 05 Jan 09

ok sorry, might sound simple but have u made sure the sound slider in both the task bar and in WMP or whatever application your using, is turned fully up? the acer laptops seem to have a very low sound output to begin with!

conrail 16:08 05 Jan 09

thanks damen1786, have sorted it, went into control panel\administrative tools\services\windows audio - set startup type to automatic and status to started and now works fine, I appreciate your help and advice, thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…