NO SOUND

meatlaff2 16:00 07 Apr 03

Sister in laws comp. Beeps on start up but cannot get any sound. have tried existing soundcard in other slots and have tried a soundcard that I know works ok. Still no luck. When I go into device Manager it says "No Sound Device installed". Comp will not recognise the installed card. Sound card is usually assigned to IRQ port 5, which it is. Could I change it to a different port and if so how do I do it. Or any other ideas would be welcome. Speakers work and are plugged into correct socket.

spikeychris 16:05 07 Apr 03

Have you tried deleting the device from device manager? When you reboot, Windows will assign the drivers again.

Chris

Gaz W 16:55 07 Apr 03

The beeping on startup comes from the PC's internal speaker (inside the case) and is nothing to do with the sound card. As spikeychris says, try deleting the device from Device Manager if you haven't already, and Windows should detect it when you reboot.

You have probably checked this, but is the sound muted? If you go into Volume Control (Play Control in XP), usually by double-clicking the speaker in system tray. If Wave is muted or turned right down, adjust it and see if it works then.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…