//some 3rd party need geo

No Sound

diesel1948 10:43 13 Feb 03

All of a sudden I have no sound, my speakers seem to be working because they make a crackle when switched on. How can I test the sound card? it is about 2/3 years old and are they simple to fit? Any advice Chaps or Ladies. Terry.

recap 10:52 13 Feb 03

Try plugging a set of headphones in to see if they work.

As for installing a new card it is easier than you think. Just follow a couple of rules and you will be OK. 1) turn off your computer and leave the plug in the wall, with the power OFF. 2) Earth yourself by rubbing your hands over the tower casing. 3) open the tower up and remove the old card. 4) DO NOT touch any of the gold coloured parts of the new card. 5) make sure the card is seated correctly (you should hear a click).

The reason for leaving the plug in the wall is to allow you to be earthed. If you are not earthed you may cause damage to the internal parts of the computer through static.

Stuartli 11:35 13 Feb 03

It sounds (sorry for the pun!) as if your jack plug or sound card socket may have become dirty and built up a resistance over time, as you hear a crackle.

Such connections should be pulled out and reinserted occasionally to prevent it; t his applies equally to audio and hi-fi mains equipment.

Switch off the system at the mains (don't unplug from the mains) and try cleaning both the jack plug and socket with a cotton bud and something like tape head cleaning fluid.

If this doesn't work then it could be damaged/not properly connected wiring or connections.

Sound card replacement is likely to prove the last resort.

Are you able to try the speakers in another system or even from a portable battery powered radio?

Stuartli 11:37 13 Feb 03

Another thought is that you might have muted the sound in Volume Control, Windows Media Player (if you have it), DVD software or anything that utilises the sound system.

Most of these have the facility to mute the sound if required and it may have been done accidentally.

diesel1948 18:49 14 Feb 03

Hi Tried all your suggestions but still nothing ordered new sound card and will follow your instructions on fitting it (recap) Do I need to uninstall the old one before removing it or not?
Thanks for the info. Terry.

diesel1948 19:02 14 Feb 03

By the way Soundblaster Live 5.10 is the one ordered, this an ok card? Before soundblaster live value.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…