No sound

pcbobby 11:58 AM 14 Apr 12

I installed XP Professional SP3 on my daughter’s desktop PC. Unfortunately, in my haste I did think about audio sound issues.

The device manager is showing ‘Other devices’ with a yellow ? I have tried ‘Update drivers’ to no avail. I downloaded Realtek AC97, still no joy.

I am not even a novice when it comes to ‘sound’ problems. I would appreciate any advice to resolve the problem. Thank you.

The OS. XP Pro SP3 CPU. AMD Sempron MOBO. ECS M863 Chipset. 741GX

onthelimit1 12:08 PM 14 Apr 12

You could try running the free Slimdrivers. The first sound driver will be from the manufacturer's website and should be compatible with the chipset.

pcbobby 12:22 PM 14 Apr 12

Thank you. I shall try this and report back later

pcbobby 13:48 PM 14 Apr 12

Did not have any joy with Slimdrivers.

I notice that the Device Manager is showing a yellow ? against Realtek AC97 audio.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:03 PM 14 Apr 12

You have tick the thread, is it fixed or not?

1. are you sure you have AC97? SIW click here will tell you exactly what equipment is installed so you can get the correct driver.
  Terry Brown 14:07 PM 14 Apr 12

It could be that you need to load the motherboard drivers as well, as these contain sound driver and modem files along with others.

One of these links should do the trick.

pcbobby 14:28 PM 14 Apr 12

Fruit Bat. Sorry,I should not have ticked resolved. I have down loaded from your link Realtek appears, but in Device manager it has a! and not ? as I mentioned earlier.

pcbobby 14:31 PM 14 Apr 12

Terry, will try your link after lunch

Thank you.

lotvic 14:31 PM 14 Apr 12

"should not have ticked resolved" you can UNtick it by clicking on the green tick and it will turn back to grey.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:37 PM 14 Apr 12

Rick click the Driver and select properties it should give you an error No. / message.

pcbobby 16:15 PM 14 Apr 12

I right ticked the Realtek device. Message as follows. This device CANNOT start. (code 10)

Tried various as driver downloads as above. Still no joy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: When is Black Friday & what are the best tech Black Friday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the animated Christmas ad everyone's tallking about

The 84 best Mac games: Brilliant RPGs, shooting games, adventure games and puzzlers for Mac OS X