no sound

pcill 09:30 15 Feb 09

Further to my earlier posts (I can hear the groans now !!)Still no sound on windows xp.I have now installed the driver sis 7018 audio driver but no luck i have gone into device manager and sis 7018 audio properties- driver ran the hardware update wizard which did update the driver.restarted still no sound.The speaker wire is plugged into the green jack plug which causes some noise so i know they are ok.I have tried headphones plugged into the speaker into the d drive and e drive cd roms still no sound.I am now at a loss you are my last resort ????????????

pcill 09:32 15 Feb 09

Sorry i forgot to say that when sis 7018 installed it did put the speaker volume icon on the taskbar which was not there before.

johndrew 10:58 15 Feb 09

Do your speakers have a volume control either at the speaker input or as a `box` between the jack and the speakers? If so is this turned up?

For the DVD/CD inputs, have you checked the volume sliders (Device Manager/your dvd/cd/Properties)?

As there is no link to your previous threads, I have no idea what has been suggested.

birdface 13:49 15 Feb 09

Have you got the speakers plugged into the mains switch.The power button switched on on the speakers and the volume sliders open.Make sure you do not have the sound muted on the keyboard.
In sound and audio devices make sure mute is not ticked,Make sure speaker setting are Ok.In Audio.Default device should showing.The same with voice.

pcill 16:13 15 Feb 09

Yes speaker volumes and sliders all up speakers plugged in to mains red light on at speakers I have also gone onto the silicon integrated systems website and reloaded the driver it does say driver is compatible with windows xp its very frustrating ????.

birdface 16:19 15 Feb 09

Try.Control Panel.Administrative Tools.Services.And scroll down to Windows Audio and make sure it is set to automatic.

pcill 17:37 15 Feb 09

Checked this it is set to auto and says 'started' ?????

birdface 07:04 16 Feb 09

I know nothing about the Bios but I am led to believe that the Audio may be switched off in there.Maybe someone else can advise you how to try it.

pcill 10:54 16 Feb 09

Does anyone out there know how to check if the sound is on in the bios ???????????????

birdface 11:55 16 Feb 09

Hi.just had a browse through my Bios.And my sound was set to Auto.I had to open Integrated pheriferals.then open Onchip Pci Device.And mine came under Via Audio.Yours would probably be different.Be careful in there press the Esc button if not sure.

pcill 14:44 16 Feb 09

Yes i checked bios sound setting is enabled choices are enabled or disabled I changed it to disabled to see what happened and in control panel sound devices it was showing no device so i quickly changed it back to enabled checked again and sis 7018 was showing as sound device again tried upgrading driver via device manager but got your current driver is updated so back to square one im afraid.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…