no sound

poshman31 17:26 22 Jan 08

Hi All, recently my PC was corrupt so a neighbour got it working although everything was wiped off and like an old fool I didnt back it up ...anyway

cant seem to get any sound on put ,in a CD and this message comes up .....

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There may not be a sound device installed on your computer, it may be in use by another program, or it may not be functioning properly.

All connections are ok I have gone thru troublshooter and all seems in order as far as I know but still nowt

Totally-braindead 17:32 22 Jan 08

Sounds like your neighbour has formatted the hard drive and reinstalled windows. And has forgotten to install the motherboard drivers if you have onboard sound as most of us have - hence no sound.
See if you have the motherboard disk and reinstall all the drivers and that should cure it.
If you don't have a motherboard disk then you will need to find out the make and model of your motherboard, goto the manufacturers website and download them from there.

To find out what motherboard you have, if you don't know, you can use either Belarc or SIW click here click here

Jak_1 17:34 22 Jan 08

Looks like you need to re-install the sound drivers. What os and do you have a seperate sound card or onboard sound? You will need to know the make and model number to be able to download the drivers from the manufactuers site.

ambra4 17:35 22 Jan 08

You need to install the driver for the sound card

If sound card is on the motherboard you wil need the motherboard driver CD

If a stand alone sound card a you should have the CD or download the driver from the company site

poshman31 18:55 22 Jan 08

Thank you very much for your help, I went to Pack bell site and downloaded the driver, really appreciate it Cheers P M

ambra4 11:57 23 Jan 08

tick the box and click solved

Totally-braindead 19:11 23 Jan 08

poshman one thing I should mention. Since your neighbour forgot to reload the sound driver I would also download the rest of the drivers from the PB site and install them. If they are already installed it will do no harm but if they haven't been installed it might appear to be running perfectly well but might not be running to its full capacity. And once you have downloaded them burn them to disk for future use.

Glad you got it sorted.

arabica 17:34 11 Feb 08

hi
new to the website, and need some desperate help...

i recently had my windows xp restarted from scrtach from a friend as i lost all the cds that came with it, and i started the comp, everything was fine except no sound!...

before reinstalling windows everything was fine with the sound, so...

ive checked on media player if it can play anything and it gives the message:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There may not be a sound device installed on your computer, it may be in use by another program, or it may not be functioning properly.

and i have checked the audio from control panels everthing is blocked and doesnt allow me to change/enter anything...all it says no audio device, and it also says when trying to click the volume button in entertainment as

no audio mixers installed check ur hardware/drivers...

i have also checked the services tools for audio and they are on automatic...and it also says that all audio is working properly

what am i suppose to do??
how do i check for drivers, or install ...
i am a new beginner so cant open up the tower to check for sound cards...

so any help..really appreciate it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…