No sound

2stroketim 12:23 03 Sep 06

Hi - following on from my 1st post on how to remove win 2000 and install xp I have just formatted the h/d on my dell D600 using win 98 cd and installed xp which worked fine, however there is now no sound at all on boot up or even when playing cd's etc, I presume when formatting the h/d I wiped something off?, how can I get the sound back, I was thinking I could download soundcard drivers but I have gone into sound & audio devices properties & under the volume tab is reads No Audio Device so how do I know what drivers to download or I am now stuck without sound...do anyone of you guys or girls need anymore info or is this enough ? any help would be greatly appreciated

anskyber 14:48 03 Sep 06

Try running this to identify your on board audio.click here after go to the manufacturers web site at Dell and if there is a card the card site for the drivers.

anskyber 14:54 03 Sep 06

Here are the drivers for the Dell Latitude D600, is that yours? click here

griffon 56 10:51 04 Sep 06

WinXP, unlike earlier OS's, comes with just about every generic driver already available, and I'm surprised that it hasn't loaded sound drivers for your Dell and installed them by default. Possible problems are, that you've not got the speaker connector plugged into the right socket at the back, or that you've got the volume controls muted or reduced to zero. For the former plug in to the line out socket and for the latter, double click the Volume Control icon in the system tray at bottom right of your screen and untick any check box labelled 'mute'. I don't use XP but I'm sure that I've seen advice which refers to 'Device Manager' in the 'Systems' folder of Control Panel. Clicking on 'Device Manager' brings up a list of hardware with associated drivers installed on your computer. If there is a yellow exclamation mark against anything to do with 'Sound, Video & Game Controllers' then they are either not or only partially installed. There is a button labelled 'Refresh'. Pressing it brings up the procedure to reload drivers. I hope some of this helps.

2stroketim 13:58 04 Sep 06

Thanks to all those who replied, downloaded the drivers from Dell and it woked a treat !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…