No Sound

B54 21:00 15 May 06

Hi, please help.
I have no sound. It went off yesterday after
I downloaded Warez - AVG flashed up a Trojan warning which my 13yr old neice assured me was normal so I ignored it. After a couple more warnings I notice one flag was for a dialler. I ran AVG, to get rid of it but then could not get on the internet as it appeared to have done something to my ip address. I ran Spybot search and Destroy and Cleanup to get rid of it.
The internet is working fine now, but my MS AntiSpyware seems to have disappeared along with the sound. Put in a CD and the graph showing sound is moving. The speakers are not giving feed back when you turn them on and fiddle with the plugs which is normal.
I was playing CDs and listening to music stored on the pc earlier in the day and until the down load being irritated by the sounds of games the kids were playing on the pc so I know it all works.
I have check the volumes, Reaktek AC97 Audio is enabled and working correctly there are no conflicts, Ive checked the sound effect manager, its all right, I tried trouble shooting still no joy.
I have checked the forum archive and there seems to be similar problems but I get lost when it gets too technical - I don't know what the Bios are or how to find them.
Can you help Please.

B54 21:08 15 May 06

I forgot to say that all of the speakers have been greyed out in the volume control display although everything else looks ok.
Thanks B54

Joe R 21:11 15 May 06

first port of call, should be to uninstall your sound drivers, and then reinstall.

skidzy 21:17 15 May 06

Have you tried system restore to a time when all was ok.

skidzy 21:21 15 May 06

This may help also... click here

B54 21:50 15 May 06

I tried system restore based on the fact that I think some how the download or trojan/dialler managed to reset something that turned off the sound. It hasn't worked.
Im not being awkward, but why would i uninstall my sound drivers when it was working perfectly well up to the point of doing this download?

Im scared of uninstalling them because I dont have a disk and have no idea if they are onboard or what. What if i end up with nothing?

skidzy 21:55 15 May 06

Try the link i gave above,this may reinstall over the top of your drivers,if in doubt...make a restore point first.

skidzy 21:59 15 May 06

I think you will find Joe R was refering to uninstall the sound drivers from device manager and reboot....xp will find the drivers and reinstall.

B54 22:41 15 May 06

Well i tried all the above, uninstall from device manager, re booted and got a message saying disk needed, but I dont have a disk.

Down loaded from the Skidzy's link and nothing, that's the link for VIA AC97 whose chipset it tells me is not found on this system.
Mine is Realtek AC97

Please Please any more suggestion that might work?

skidzy 22:44 15 May 06

My apologies B54 this one click here

B54 22:46 15 May 06

The message reads:the file 'RTLCPL.EXE' on realtek AC97 audio disk driver is needed. It also gives me the option for browse for it (as if) - can you tell me is it possible to find it somewhere on my pc and if so where?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…