No Sound

snowy30 21:31 24 Oct 04

I have a HP Pavilion 473.uk PC using Windows XP, and I got no sound from my powered PolkAudio speakers. I checked for any conflicts in the Device manager under Sounds and it appears fine. I made sure the 'out' jack is in the right (green) socket, enabled Audio Codecs in the BIOS setup (though it was on auto), shut down the computer and uplugged it from the back, and pressed in the power button for 20secs but I still have nothing.

Rtus 21:41 24 Oct 04

check sound & audio devices settings in control panel > choose the audio tab & check the correct device (sound card) is listed

snowy30 21:45 24 Oct 04

I forgot to mention the fact that its onboard sound, and options in sounds are greyed out?

Rtus 21:50 24 Oct 04

another possibilty is youve selected 5.1 (or other sound out)in the sound software panel (generally listed in all programs>"whatever programme",ie-creative audio Hq.. run through that to select 2 speaker out. another item to try is turn off the system unplug the speaker out lead from the unit turn them on & hold your fingers across the tip of the audio plug ,advance the volume you should hear a load buzzing. telling you the speakers work & yopu need to look else where for the fault (like having the sound out put through headphones on CD.this cuts the sound card out of line.. or the sound card input is aux instead of Line..all need checking.

Rtus 21:54 24 Oct 04

Where exactly are the options greyed out ??

snowy30 01:28 25 Oct 04

Under the volume tab it says no Audio Device and hence forth Device Volume and Speaker settings are both greyed out. Can't play no system sounds under the Sound tab. The options under Audio is greyed out as well as Voice.

Looks like I need to buy a sound card?

hugh-265156 02:01 25 Oct 04

has this just happened? have you tried system restore to a date you knew all was well and you had sound?

try this and tell us what it says maybe:

click: 'start/run' type 'dxdiag' and click ok. next click the 'sound' and the 'music' tabs and run the tests. is there anything reported in the 'notes' box?

geordiejag 02:51 25 Oct 04

I had the same problem,and not knowing a lot about PCs i mucked about for a week before i changed my default device in play back,from (modem
0 line play back),to Creative Sound Blaster
PCI,and the same with (default device recording)
to Creative Sound Blaster PCI. and the sound was restored,dont know if this is any good to you,
you can always have a look and see.

geordiejag 02:54 25 Oct 04

By the way this is under sound and audio devices
click on Audio.

snowy30 03:09 25 Oct 04

On the sound tab the note says: no sound card found, and nothing is listed

On the music tab at the top there's
General MIDI DLS Collection: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\drivers\GM.DLS (Version 1.00.0016.0002)

Music Ports
Description: Microsoft Synthesizer; Type: Software; Kernel Mode: No; I/O: Output; Support DLS: Yes; External: No; Default Port: Yes.

The 'Test DirectMusic' button is greyed out.

And the notes:
To test DirectMusic functionality, click the "Test DirectMusic" button above.

No problem found.

Dorsai 04:52 25 Oct 04

control panel>system>hardware tab>device manager button and expand the 'sound, video and game controllers' entry.

What, if anything is shown? Perhaps that will give a clue.

If you see you sound card/system listed (perhaps with a yellow exclimation mark) right click on it and pick properties, and see if it it shown as disabled, or perhaps has some other fault.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced