No sound

jaydoubleyou 20:32 06 Mar 04

I installed a DVD writer this morning, and since then I have had no sound. I know about the dangers of static, so was careful to earth myself while installing the writer. I can hear a sound very faintly when playing MP3s, but the speakers work fine when plugged into a CD player, so it is not the speakers themselves, and headphones do not work in the front headphone sockets. I still get the Nvidia icon in the system tray, and the display shows sound input, so I do not believe the card has become dislodged or damaged.
Hope you can help,
Jason

expertec 20:35 06 Mar 04

Is the DVD writer connected to the sound card?

jaydoubleyou 20:51 06 Mar 04

No - I also have a CD writer, which is connected to the sound card, and which I'm intending to use as the main CD player for the machine (and which I'm keeping because it writes CDs faster than the DVD writer).
The problem isn't that I don't get sound from the DVD writer - I don't expect to - but I don't get sound from *anything* - CDs, MP3s, not even system sounds.

expertec 11:21 07 Mar 04

Does the sound work when the DVD writer is disconnected?

jaydoubleyou 17:54 07 Mar 04

No, the DVD writer isn't connected and I haven't tried to connect it, as the CD writer is and I'm going to use that to play CDs and DVDs on, just using the DVD writer to record DVDs rather than play them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5