No Sound

Rogerthedog 22:17 05 Nov 03

I 've lost all the sound on my PC (Win 98).
I've downloadd all th drivers for the crystal PNP Audio system. Volume control is ok. If I click on multimedia it says "Could not load the file MSACM32.dll" (This isn't on the download site called .dll files by the way). If I click on sound recorder it says "C:windows\sndrec32.exe device attached to the system is not functioning.

Then it says MSACM32.dll is linked to missing export NTDLL.DL :NT Close

Can anybody tell me what this means??

beeuuem 22:42 05 Nov 03

The file is part of Win98. In the first instance try running System File Checker (making sure that it is set to check for missing or corrupted files in 'Settings')
If that does't help you can extract the files from your CD using the instructions from click here

Stuartli 08:53 06 Nov 03

Have you checked the bios to see if onboard sound is enabled (I'm assuming your Crystal setup is an onboard one)?

beeuuem 14:16 06 Nov 03

Received by mail

"Thanks for that. I don't have a win98 disk, I'll see if I can borrow one. The PC is a second hand job which didn't come with any disks. Will a win 95 disk do the same job? Sorry to sound ignorant but I'm a bit of a tech novice."

The link in my post also give instructions on replacing the files from a Win95 disk, at the bottom of the page. I assume that these are the same files so it should be worth doing this.

When we come across something that we don't know the answer to we are all novices

beeuuem 17:06 10 Nov 03

Received by mail
No joy as yet. I've managed to download the file MSCAM32.dll but after following the instructions on the link you gave me, I messed up! Should have read the whole doc. I removed audio compression but didn't realise the win 95 disk would be no good to reinstall. I'm now stuck for reinstalling unless I can get hold of a win98 disk. Thanks for your help so far though.

The link I gave does give details lf how to do it in Win95, though it is well down the page.
Try this if you can and let us know how you get on. It looks more complicated than it is in practice, print out the instructions and follow them one step at a time.

Removing and Reinstalling 32-bit MSACM Drivers in Windows 95

To remove and reinstall the 32-bit MSACM drivers in Windows 95, follow these steps:

Insert the Windows 95 CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive. Press and hold down the SHIFT key when you insert the CD-ROM to prevent the Windows 95 CD-ROM from starting automatically.

Click Start, point to Programs, and then click MS-DOS Prompt.

At the command prompt, type "<drive>:" (without quotation marks), and then press ENTER, where <drive> is the letter of the CD-ROM drive. eg D:

At the command prompt, type the following line, and then press ENTER:

cd \win95 (note the space between cd and /)

At the command prompt, type the following line, and then press ENTER

extract win95_08.cab msacm*.* /l <drive>:\windows\sysbckup

where <drive> is the letter of the hard disk on which Windows is installed (usually C:). If you are prompted to overwrite the files, press Y.

At the command prompt, type "exit" (without quotation marks), and then press ENTER.

Restart the computer in MS-DOS mode.

cd \windows\system

del msacm*.*

cd ..\sysbckup

copy msacm*.* ..\system

At the command prompt, type "exit" (without quotation marks), and then press ENTER.

beeuuem 17:14 10 Nov 03

Though I think this is a a seperate issue you could also try uninstalling and reinstalling Sound Recorder as described in click here

smegs 17:34 10 Nov 03

click here U can download the file from here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…