no sound!

tanzanite 20:57 29 Aug 03

When i turned pc on there was no windows sound at startup,i went to realplayer and windows media to see if i could play music but i get an error message saying Ihave a problem with my sound device. im on xp and id be grateful if someone could help me find out whats wrong.

Gedrog 21:00 29 Aug 03

What soundcard do u have

tanzanite 21:09 29 Aug 03

Heck i feel real silly but i bought pc from some fella that builds them with no manuals or nothing like that so ive no idea is there a way of checking in my pc for my name of soundcard.

tanzanite 22:34 29 Aug 03

well its not the speakers i just checked them on my cd player and their working fine its really niggling me as i dont no whats wrong!

tanzanite 22:58 29 Aug 03

Also when i go to control panel/sounds and audio devices,it says no audio device and all the options are greyed out so i cant select any of the speaker settings!

jazzypop 23:02 29 Aug 03

Go to Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System restore, and restore to yesterday's date

Jean-Luc Picard 23:12 29 Aug 03

If jazzypop's suggestion doesn't do the trick you may have to open your case, check where the speaker connection leads to and if you have a soundcard connected to a PCI (white)slot make sure by pressing it towards your motherboard that it is correctly seated. If your uding onboard sound you might want to consider purchasinc a sound card. But before we go down that road keep posting back here with any progress. This is an excellent forum with many knowledgeble contributers, me excepted.

feb 23:14 29 Aug 03

has it ever had sound?

tanzanite 23:21 29 Aug 03

Well went to s restore tried it twice but when i restarted it said no changes were made.There is no way i would have the knowledge to open the case up infact id prob make matters worse if i did that,Ive had pc bout 4 months now and the sound has always been fine.

Jean-Luc Picard 23:28 29 Aug 03

By just trying what I suggested isn't that difficult, give it a try it could save a lot of hassle in the long run and if it doesn't work you won't have lost anything.

feb 23:31 29 Aug 03

so! something has happened since last time ! The biggest problem with sound problems is the connection, dont think its ok get on your hands and knees and check it , unplug it and plug it in again, in the right socket. If you dont do it you'll always wonder!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…