No sound

mdshamilton 12:19 30 Jul 03

I have a 5 yr old P2 400Mhz Gateway PC running XP Home. Yesterday, upon start-up there was no sound from the PC. The PC operates fine otherwise, and there is a system beep on start-up from within the PC case. However, there is no sound from the speakers at all.

I've checked: speaker wire connections, unplugged and plugged the speakers from the PC (this produces a power feedback sound), run diagnostics that says the Creative PCI sound card is working fine. I've checked the volume controls and the sound driver.

Although I will be buying a new PC in September, this one works fine (although slowly) and I was planning to keep it for my toddlers to play games on. Does anyone have any ideas/recommendations before I take it to the local PC repair shop and spend £50 to have it fixed?

The Transporter 12:22 30 Jul 03

system restore.

Or boot up pressing F8 and then use the "Use last known good configuration"

Alsohave u installed anything new lately

Xevious 12:26 30 Jul 03

or re-installed the drivers?

mdshamilton 12:26 30 Jul 03

Haven't installed anything new at all. But I'll give the system restore a shot tonight. Thanks.

Jester2K II 12:29 30 Jul 03

Test the speakers on something else. CD Player etc just to illiminate the speakers...

Stuartli 12:31 30 Jul 03

Many programs, such as Windows Media Player etc, have their own mute button; you may also have inadvertently muted one of the mixer controls (if you have a mixer).

There are numerous threads on this subject - might be worth a search..:-)

Stuartli 12:32 30 Jul 03

Also check the Creative Launcher software (if you have it operating) as there are various mute options there as well.

mdshamilton 19:58 30 Jul 03

Does anyone know what a Multimedia Controller is? The hardware setup cannot find the driver.... I think this must be the problem with the lack of sound.

Stuartli 20:16 30 Jul 03

Go into Control Panel>Multimedia and recheck the various tabs contents, including the Advanced sections.

mdshamilton 21:20 30 Jul 03

There isn't a "multimedia" icon in the control panel, but there is one in the Device Manager under "Other Devices" Then there is an icon called "Multimedia Controller".

My XP Home Disk and Original System disks don't have any drivers to install this hardware.

Any other ideas? Please?

mdshamilton 13:53 31 Jul 03

The final chance I'll give this PC tonight is to reinstall XP Home, as system restore had no effect.

I tried to test the speakers (that are receiving power) and plugged them into a CD-Walkman, but no sound came out of the speakers. Since the power light is on, is there any other way I can test them - should some music have come from the CD-Walkman - or is it too low powered?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…