No signal from PC !

Paul33 17:31 16 Jan 15

My son built his own gaming PC about a year ago. He is no IT expert but he followed a guide and it has worked perfectly until about two weeks ago when he accidentally kicked the power cable out of the back of the tower !!!

When he plugged it back in and booted up, it did nothing other than throw a "no signal" onto his monitor.

We have connected a different monitor - no change, we have connected via HDMI and VGA - no change, we have connected via graphics card and on board motherboard graphics - no change.

We then had the PC checked out by a local IT repair person who found no obvious fault with any component so suggested it was a problem with the motherboard so my son has now replaced the motherboard and the problem is the same.

The IT guy has had a further look and still can't find a fault other than to hint (no more) that the CPU may be damaged.

It seems likely that the sudden removal of the power supply caused the issue (power spike ?) but surely we should be able to narrow down what the issue is !

Not sure what anybody on here can do to help but if anybody would like to suggest any ideas - preferably with tests we can carry out to prove it - then we'd be very grateful.

Batch 17:39 16 Jan 15

Is the PC system unit doing anything at all?

Do any lights come on?

Do fans run up?

To be quite honest, it sounds like it needs hand-on investigation by someone knowledgeable (is the local IT repair person reliable in that respect????).

lotvic 18:00 16 Jan 15

As per Batch says, and:

After all you've tried already and the IT guy - I'd be inclined to take it all apart and rebuild from scratch as per the first time around. However first (and after a rebuild) I'd try booting up without the harddrive and dvd drives etc in to see it it displays the BIOS screen ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017