No signal to monitor

AlexE 08:59 10 Jun 10

Desktop PC hardware : Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo

Notebook died. Tried restoring backup of Notebook data from memory stick onto desktop PC. (Notebook and Desktop both run OneCare, backup is in OneCare format).

Now Desktop appears to not 'see' monitor.
When boot up, Hard disk light is active,
Optical mouse glows, keyboard Caps Lock/Num Lock lights are responsive to keys, but monitor stays dark.

NB Monitor has an error mesage for 'cable not connected', but is NOT showing this error. It shows different error 'No Signal'

The windows 'chime' does occur (seems to be later than usual), but still dont see anything on the screen.

Graphicool1 14:36 10 Jun 10

Have you checked the leads and plugs? Is the monitor connected to the PC. Does a LED light show next to the monitors on switch. Have you switched the monitor on. Can you try the monitor on another PC. Cand you try another monitor on your PC. So many options to try.

Catastrophe 14:37 10 Jun 10

I don't know if this is any help, but at least it will move you up the queue.

When I get 'No signal' it is usually because the PC is not switched on OR because there is a bad connection preventing start up.

If you are happy 'with the cover off' I would (power off) check IDE (or whatever)HDD connection and power connection. Sometimes I have had a 'dark screen' (sometimes with a little _ in the top left corner) and the OS has eventually started, sometimes after several minutes.

Hope this will prompt a more expert response than I to your problem.

Good luck :)

woodchip 16:55 10 Jun 10

Normally "No Signal" means dead PC or the Config is wrong. Have you tried tapping F8 as computer is starting then try "last known good Config"

Graphicool1 10:03 12 Jun 10

Did any of our suggestions work for you? Some feed back would be good, for us and anyone else who might be having a similar problem!

AlexE 11:01 12 Jun 10

Sorry - posted on behalf of a friend, who is offline due to aforementioned. Will get back to you when I can catch up with her and see if any of the above works. Alex

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…