No signal to monitor

Kilty 08:50 15 Feb 09

I have a problem with the output from my PC. I am unable to get a signal from the motherboard socket to the monitor, so I installed a graphics card with still no luck. Is there any obvious and easily fixable reason fo this.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Technotiger 08:54 15 Feb 09

Does the monitor work ok on another PC?

Obvious check - all internal and external cable connections.

Technotiger 08:55 15 Feb 09

Akso is there any indication of life from the Monitor at all?

Kilty 08:58 15 Feb 09

I have tried a couple of different monitors, the PC sounds like it booting up ok, just cant get a signal to monitor.

Thanks for the replys so far and any more help given.

ambra4 09:08 15 Feb 09

Try re-seating the memory chips if more than one try then one at a time

Technotiger 09:09 15 Feb 09

Hmm, sounds a bit more serious than just the monitor then. Could be a faulty motherboard - how old is it? Does it get much bashing about etc.

Are there any lights when booting up? Lots of questions I know, but trying to narrow down the problem.

Could even be a dying PSU, perhaps not enough power to get things running.

Or even, a dying hard drive!

But I think, most likely the PSU is the main suspect.

Kilty 09:15 15 Feb 09

The PC is four years old, the old graphics card died and I just used the built in one.

Then it suddenly lost signal (whilst in use). Tried various monitors, before installing a new graphics card.

When starting up all the drive lights come on and fans etc. The PC does not get much bashing but is used for work during the day, so gets lots of use.

Hope this helps, thanks for all replies so far and any more help given.

Kilty 09:36 15 Feb 09

I forgot to mention, I can here drives starting but no beep.

Hope this helps.

Technotiger 09:50 15 Feb 09

Hmm, two main suspects then - can you try another PSU (if only to rule that one out) ........ but I am now inclined to think it may be a motherboard fault.

Kilty 09:52 15 Feb 09

Is there a way to test the PSU, to see if it is supplying enough power, using a multimeter etc?

Technotiger 09:58 15 Feb 09

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…