'no signal' message

Rayspan 17:04 PM 10 Jul 11

Hi folks - been a while since I posted. I'm really stuck on this one. Please help.

I've just swapped a motherboard on an 'elderly' computer.

The old mobo had both an onboard vga port & a radeon 9600 graphics card. Platform is windows 7, which was loaded without the graphics card installed, and with BIOS set accordingly.

With win7 up & running successfully, and radeon card installed, on startup I entered BIOS and selected the AGP setup parameters. Windows 7 fired up OK, promptly found and installed a graphics driver, and all was well.

Now for the hard part.

Gutting the system, I replaced the mobo with a winfast K7NCR18D Pro, that was running successfully when harvested from an earlier machine.

Problem is that this beast does not have on-board graphics at all. However, I assumed that since the correct driver was safely tucked away on the hard disk, and assuming that the BIOS would know where to find it, I expected it to fire up OK.

No such luck. Screen waits a while at start up, then reports 'no signal.'

Where do I go from here? Any suggestions? (Preferably polite ones!).

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:00 PM 10 Jul 11

BIOS uses basic inbuilt drivers, nothing off the HDD as you should beable to get it to boot to an error message if HDD is missing / faulty.

Make sure BIOS is set to use AGP USe the clear BIOS jumper to set the BIOS to defaults and retry also try reseating the graphics card firmly.

Rayspan 02:20 AM 11 Jul 11

Thanks Fruit Bat. Followed your advice to clear CMOS. It hasn't done the trick sadly, still 'no signal'.

chub_tor 07:55 AM 11 Jul 11

Have you also followed Fruit Bat /\0/\ 's second piece of advice to re-seat the graphics card firmly? You might also check the cable connections between the monitor and the PC. As Fruit Bat /\0/\ says, the BIOS has built in VGA drivers so no display indicates a hardware problem not a software driver problem.

Rayspan 09:29 AM 13 Jul 11

Thanks chub_tor. Yes, been there, done that, got the 'T'-shirt! I came to same conclusion as you. Hunted for shorts et.c. No success. Think it must be end o t'road for this one. I just have a problem chucking out anything that looks OK. Silly I know. I can salvage processor & cooler at least. Unless that's where the problem is of course. Many thanks one & all.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites