No signal going to my Monitor following random shutdown/crash, reasons why?

Notrace13 10:45 09 Oct 14

Hi All,

I'm hoping some one might be able to help?

Yesterday I was using using my pc, funnily enough looking at new potential graphics cards when my computer just crashed. No BSOD or anything, it literally just switched off like i had hit the reset button or something (i hadn't) and then when i went to turn it back on I can here all the components start whirring up but no signal is going to the monitor. You can hear the hd booting up and going through the motions even the fans on the graphics card are spinning.

I have tried all the basic sanity testing i.e. disconnecting the plug and reconnecting. checking the dvi cable, taking out the graphics card and reseating it. I have tried the whole disconnecting the power cable and holding down the power button for 30 seconds and then reconnecting the cable and switching it back on ...nada. I have even tried the whole taking the ram out and rubbing the gold contacts with an eraser but still no joy. I have even rolled the pc into my front room and connected it to my tv via hdmi but still nothing.

One of my mates says that I can borrow a spare graphics card so that i can see if its the mobo (i bloody hope its not the mobo) or not but before i get my hands on that i just wanted to see if there is anything else that i could try or help to narrow down the issue before I splash out on a new graphics card.

These are my system specs Mobo: Gigabyte G1 Guerrilla socket1366 CPU: i7 920 RAM: Corsair Dominator 1600 6gb (3x2gb) TR3XG1600C8D GPU: Msi n560gtx ti448 PSU: Coolmaster silent pro 700w HD: WD 1TB OS: Windows7 Pro

Jollyjohn 11:27 09 Oct 14

Sounds like graphics card failure, try the spare on offer or try onboard graphics if your motherboard has onboard graphics.

Notrace13 12:42 09 Oct 14

Cheers All,

Alas no onboard graphics on my mobo, so I will try and get my hands on the spare GC, although someone else suggested it may be a faulty rail on the PSU based on the way the system just switched off prior to the loss of video signal?

Jollyjohn 12:59 09 Oct 14

PSU failure is a possibility but one step at a time, and take notes.

If no response with spare gfx card then put original back in and try a different PSU if you can.

wee eddie 13:03 09 Oct 14

Big question: Is the Monitor screen just blank/black or, is it displaying a message, or logo, which says "No Signal"

If the first, then it is likely that the monitor is damaged - test it on another computer.

If the second, then very likely the graphics display chip may be damaged - Try another monitor, just to make sure

bumpkin 14:58 09 Oct 14

Have you tried a different HDMI cable?

Notrace13 15:06 09 Oct 14

Hi Bumpkin,

I have tried alternative HDMI and DVI cables.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5