No signal

adfather 12:12 14 May 09

Having plugged in a usb hub that was obviously faulty my machine was stoppedin its tracks...total power down. On powering up I have been unable to get any signal to monitor,,,this could be damaged m/board or graphics card...how can I test which?M/Board - Asus P4C800-E, Graphics card LEADTECH wINFAST a400.

Stuartli 12:47 14 May 09

Did you insert the USB plug the wrong way up?

adfather 14:13 14 May 09

the usb is not my concern...I have now removed all usbs, hard drives etc leaving only the mother board and graphics card in situe.When I power up the mother board has power, box fans run etc,but I get no signal from the graphics card.Monitor & cable are ok. The question is how do I test if the board or card has been damaged?

take out graphics card and power up if the mobo works you should get a post beep to say no card found

Stuartli 16:41 14 May 09

Actually it is if the USB plug was inserted upside down - it can/could have damaged either or both of the components.

I know because I did it myself accidentally about three years ago during a Skype conversation and attempted to plug in a USB device too hurridly.

adfather 13:21 15 May 09

Hi, thanks for help but not there yet... power up without graphics card...no bleep response...but if I plug in graphics card but do not plug in the cards independent power I get a high pitched squark response.No signal showing either case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…