No signal...

GerdyC 12:34 07 Feb 08

Hi.
This one has me beaten...
I've just built my sixth PC, all others had no problems.
My latest, all new components, will only show no signal on the monitor. (I've tried two monitors, both O/K on other machines.)
Firstly a suspect PSU replaced. No signal.
Video card checked in another PC, works O/k. No signal.
Motherboard replaced. No signal.
Another new Pentium 4 fitted. No signal.
Along the way I have tried with one stick of RAM, disconnecting hard drives and DVED drives. All shows no signal.
Compatability checked on manufacturers websites.
I don't think I've missed anything, any suggestions PLEASE?
Thanks for looking, GerdyC.

howard64 13:46 07 Feb 08

you dont say you have tried another graphics card? I was building a pc and it would not work no beeps or anything. All components worked with other pcs. Eventually I tried a different graphics card in that one and it worked perfectly.

octal 13:54 07 Feb 08

That's an odd one, have you tried removing the graphics card and trying the on board graphics?

keef66 14:11 07 Feb 08

When you tried a new mobo was it the same model?If so, the only conclusion I can draw is that the graphics card doesn't work in that motherboard.

If this is your 6th build, I'm assuming you've installed the latest motherboard chipset drivers?

GerdyC 14:27 07 Feb 08

I've tried the video card (Geforce) in another PC, I am now using the on board graphics on the current board, the same result from the video card. The mobo is a different make completely, the first MSI, the second Foxconn. I get the usual beeps at start up, all fans run etc. but obviously with no signal I cannot get into the bios. (The answer is got to be something so obvious that I'm going to feel completely stupid.)

octal 14:36 07 Feb 08

Have you tried completely removing the graphics card before using the on board graphics? The reason I say that is sometimes if you have a graphics card installed then it automatically disables the on board graphics, at least it does on my Foxconn.

keef66 16:29 07 Feb 08

I take back the helpful suggestion about chipset drivers; tricky to install with nothing on the screen!

Power connectors to the mobo? 20 pin or 24 pin? Additional 4 pin connector near the cpu?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:24 07 Feb 08

Make sure board is not shipped with the BIOS jumper in the Clear postion.

GerdyC 11:36 08 Feb 08

That was the answer octal. With the video card removed I get a working monitor as well! I'm not sure what the problem is with card, it worked in another PC (to replace another Gforce card), but it's a catch 22 with a new build, can't load the drivers without an OS, but can't load the OS to load the drivers, without anything on screen.
Thanks to everyone for your help, and sugestions.

octal 15:09 08 Feb 08

If it helps I'm using a ATI Radeon 9250 256MB. I would have thought any card would have worked, but these things happen, the mother board might not like the card for some reason.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017