No scan do

TERCOL 16:12 21 Feb 10

Hi folks, can you help,?I am trying to install SMART PANEL from my Epson perfection flatbed scanner disc onto my laptop,
(I already have It installed on my desktop working fine) but every time I put the disc In and select custom Install then Smart Panel It starts to Install but then says some thing about a previous version already installed and It needs too uninstall It so I click the yes promt wich starts the process but after a few seconds it says Instalation complete but when I try to open Smart Panel I find that It has not been Installed, I have been into control panel where It shows what I take to be the prvious version of smart panel and have tried to uninstall it from there but It just wont go ( also tried C/Cleaner ), again no go,I am still an absolute beginner so the simpliest of fixes If any would be much appreciated.

mrwoowoo 16:23 21 Feb 10

I would try installing it in safe mode first.
Do this by restarting your lappy and Start tapping the F8 key while booting up. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. If so start again.

john bunyan 18:46 21 Feb 10

What OS (XP, W7 etc) ?

TERCOL 19:08 21 Feb 10

Thanks mrwoowoo,tried In safemode but still the same message comes up, not knowing much about computing as I said before I think the main problem Is to get rid of what It keeps saying about a previous installation of smart panel being In the list of Installed programs but If It Is there or not (wich I dont think It Is)It says It's there and I can't get rid of It, It says Its taking up 1.75mb, but the Smart Panel installed on my pc says 132.00mb, which I would say Is about right, In reply to John Bunyon I am running xp with sp3.

john bunyan 19:55 21 Feb 10

If you do not have it I would go to the Microsoft site and dowload and install the Windows Installer Cleanup Facility.
Then uninstall with that if the programme is shown, then re- install.

TERCOL 21:31 21 Feb 10

Hi John Bunyan. I have downloaded the cleanup facility that you suggested but Smart Panel Is not listed when I open It, It looks like I will have to get It sorted by a pc pro but thanks for trying. tercol

john bunyan 09:33 22 Feb 10

I think this means editing the registry, but this is not an easy thing unless you are used to it!

onthelimit 12:11 22 Feb 10

You could try revo uninstaller click here. That gets rid of most things.

Diemmess 12:23 22 Feb 10

Browsing for any sign of support for you I noted this click here
The significant bits to me are the opening lines where it says smartpanel is installed when you install the scanner.

If that is so, then maybe it would be wise to uninstall the scanner itself, and then reboot and install the scanner again from scratch.

TERCOL 19:41 22 Feb 10

Hi again folks,many thanks again for the Input,In reply to sugestions, you are dead right John Bunyan about knowing whats what when one goes Into the registry as some of you may know from one of my previous threads,on the advice of onthe limit I downloaded Revo uninstaller pro (1 month fre trial) and did the scan which did the business In quick sticks,goodbuy stubborn Smart panel,I have now reinstalled smart panel and have just tried It and things are just fine (touch wood)so thanks again folks, case can be now closed, but will be back again when the next problem rears It little head.

Sea Urchin 15:23 23 Feb 10

So remember to tick box and click Resolved button.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant