No Router after Reinstalling WinXP

degssie 23:23 09 Jan 06

Having just reinstalled winxp I can no longer find my Netgear DG834G in my network Places. All I have is a 1394 connection. I had the router set up to provide broadband for my PC via a cable and Broadband for my laptop via wireless. I can still access the internet via my laptop but my PC is dead as far as the internet. I cannot even access the "settings" section of the Netgear resource CD and typing in the IP address 192.168.0.1 or 0.2 or 1.1 or 02 produces a "page cannot be displayed" on my browser. I have run through all the documents on the CD and rummaged through the web site but cannot find anything that works.

The only thing that is possible is that I used the windows networking wizard during reinstallation, can I reverse this as I seem to remember when I first attached the router it said to turn it off?

mgmcc 08:40 10 Jan 06

As you don't *install* a router in a PC - it is a network device that you connect to - it won't appear in the Network Connections folder. What you should have though is the "Local Area Connection", which is the entry for the PC's ethernet adapter. Its absence may indicate that, since the reinstallation of Windows XP, the network adapter's drivers haven't been reinstalled. Check in Device manager to see if there any errors shown for the "Network Adapter" or possibly an "Unknown PCI Device".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…