no ring tone when modem connecting to internet

marcus22798 16:12 17 Mar 04

suddenly my internal modem no longer gives off a ring tone when connecting to the internet. it just connects in silence... i haven't touched any settings that i know of. grateful for some advice as to how to rectify this. thanks marcus

woodchip 16:16 17 Mar 04

What OS and how long since that it happened. If you are on Win98 close to DOS and type SCANREG/RESTORE and press enter

woodchip 16:16 17 Mar 04

PS put an older date back

sPaNieL*WilL^KiLl 16:19 17 Mar 04

inside your pc you will have a wire with a little round thing on the end(about an inch in size). You should check to see if this has been knocked out or come loose. If it has, simply push it back in and hopefully you should have sound the next time you connect.

marcus22798 16:20 17 Mar 04

i have win xp and its been like this for about a week.

medicine hat 16:30 17 Mar 04

Better scan your system for a dodgy dialler

marcus22798 16:33 17 Mar 04

how do i do that?

medicine hat 16:38 17 Mar 04

Adaware and/or Spybot

medicine hat 16:49 17 Mar 04

However, the volume can be adjusted manually. Start>Settings>Control Panel>Network Settings, right-click the dial-up and choose Properties [I think].

SANTOS7 16:57 17 Mar 04

WHY DO YOU NEED A RING TONE IF IT CONNECTS OK LEAVE IT

arricarry 17:15 17 Mar 04

Hello - What kind of modem is it? I only ask as mine is a type that needs the audio speakers to be turned on, my old computer made a noise internally, but this new beast of mine is totally silent until the speakers are connected. Don't mean to suggest that you have not thought of this ,but cannot think of anything better , unless you reinstall the modem drivers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…