No Power to Tower but it is getting to the screen?

mal_0124 22:15 18 Jul 03

I have a computer which has just been trasported in a change of address move. When it came to setting the pc up, everything was fine then I tried to turn the pc on and got nothing from the tower, but the LED on the screen lights up?
Please can someone help as it is vital that I sort this out,

Thanks

J

User-312386 22:18 18 Jul 03

have you tried the fuse at the plug on the PC?

woodchip 22:21 18 Jul 03

Check all the cards and cables etc inside are fully pushed in

mal_0124 22:25 18 Jul 03

Have tried the cables and cards they are all fine, not my own pc, it's a relative's, sound thick but haven't checked the fuse

woodchip 22:30 18 Jul 03

PS do you not hear any beeps or fan

woodchip 22:34 18 Jul 03

Inside some PSU's there is also a fuse but beware that even with the plug out of the wall socket the capacitor can give quite a wallop that a big tin box inside keep clear of connectors

mal_0124 22:36 18 Jul 03

No nothing at all no led's on the front light up no beeps or fan noise. If the fuse had gone in the power cable surley the screen wouldn't light up as it's connected directly to the tower and doesn't have it's own power supply?

mal_0124 22:38 18 Jul 03

Where is the fuse in the cpu? there's a metal box in side the tower that seems to house where the connections for the power cables go, but looks impossible to get to without taking everthing out!!?

roy 22:50 18 Jul 03

It definitely sounds to me as if something has come adrift in the move. Do as woodchip suggested again. It is not always obvious that a cable is loose. In addition to checking both ends of the IDE cables and floppy drive (I mean especially into the motherboard) make sure that all memory is properly seated. Also don't forget the power cable into the motherboard.

Good luck.

Roy

phredd 22:51 18 Jul 03

Some older PCs had a power switch on the back of the power supply as well as the on/off switch on the front. If your PC has one it might have been caught and switched off when handling the machine in the move!

Comical Ali 23:10 18 Jul 03

Please don't open "metal box", that is the PSU, and unless you really know what you're upto, serious injury or death may result.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…