No power, pc appears dead! - Please advise

Bails41 09:52 12 Apr 05

I'm looking at my friend's pc and it appears completely dead. However, I've got 240v inside psu and 5v on one of the pins on the motherboard plug when I short 'power on' green wire to ground. On initial switch on the psu cooling fan goes to run but stops immeadiately and there are no other voltage is present. I've still got the HD & drives connected to give a load on the psu.
Do these symptoms point to the psu or something else, as my friend can't afford for me to get the diagnosis wrong.

PA28 10:01 12 Apr 05

Can you swap out a PSU from another PC? That way there's no cost element. A new PSU isn't going to break the bank if you shop around, and that appears to be a likely option from your description.

Diemmess 10:55 12 Apr 05

Go with PA28's idea, but keep fingers crossed that it is only the PSU and not the motherboard as well, when the PSU died.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…