No power to PC

swapper 17:09 13 Oct 05

I have a Chaintech9CJS EZ motherboard.
I turned the PC off o.k. last night, went to turn it on today, and nothing happened.
I have power to the printer and monitor, I changed the power cable to the PC and still nothing.
Is there a fuse that I can check on the motherboard, or any ideas pleas?

The PC is eighteen months old. the supplier, Holly Computers has done a runner to the South Seas I think?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:15 13 Oct 05

If no fans, leds or noise from HDD then most likely to be PSU failed.

wee eddie 17:22 13 Oct 05

You appear to have checked the connecting cable.

Have you tried the socket that the PC is using, by plugging the printer into it?

May you have, inadvertently, switched off the power supply switch on the PC?

The next thing to check is the PSU. There are others here who will tell you how to do this.

Good luck.

p.s. my life experience is that humans err more frequently than machines which is why I am suggesting extra checks.

swapper 17:50 13 Oct 05

Fruit Bat /\0/\, thanks for the prompt reply, how can I check that?

wee eddie, thanks also, the plugs are o.k. and the switch is made, PSU's ???? I don't know how I can check that :-((

swapper 18:22 13 Oct 05

^

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:11 13 Oct 05

The easiest proof of PSU is a straight swap,

Most Psu will not give an output if not loaded up and so testing with a voltmeter is invalid.

At your own risk!!!
PSU TEST
click here

swapper 22:25 13 Oct 05

Fruit Bat /\0/\ - thanks for that, I think I will buy another PSU, and try that, they seem to be pretty inexpensive?

I will attempt to replace it myself.

swapper 06:53 14 Oct 05

I was up at 3.30 this morning (Guilty conscience, can't sleep etc., using our other PC to look at Maplins for another PSU. before taking the old one out.
Then I decided, one more try, and turned the "failed" PC on. it came on at once, no trouble at all!

I tried it on and off for a few times and wonder if I and my wife were dreaming when it would not power up. looks as if I may have saved a lot of wasted time and effort (and money).

any ideas??

Thanks for the imput anyway :-)

octal 07:10 14 Oct 05

Did you try it yourself, or did you take your wife's word for it not powering up?

It's possible with all your fiddling around you have disturbed a connection. Make sure all the connectors are properly seated in their sockets.

Seeing as you've had a sleepless night, this will give you something to smile about, it could always be the critical need detector.

A special circuit in the machine called a CRITICAL DETECTOR
senses the operator's emotional state in terms of how desperate
he or she is to use the machine. The CRITICAL DETECTOR then
creates a malfunction proportional to the desperation of the
operator. Threatening the machine with violence only
aggravates the situation. Likewise, attempts to use another
machine may cause it also to malfunction. They belong to
the same union. Keep cool and say nice things to the machine,
Nothing else seems to work.

Of I've never found this in any machine, probably the maker has hidden it to well, anyway it makes you feel like there is one in the machine at times doesn't it?

PC Bilbo 07:51 14 Oct 05

Yes I have experienced similar episode. Built and installed a new PC in a London office and all working fine when I left that evening.I asked them to check all switches and connections to noavail.

Next morning panic call,it wouldn't switch on! I asked them to check all switches and connections to no avail.An hour and a half journey later, problem found.

The IEC socket was plugged into the computer but the cleaners had disturbed the lead pulling it away ever so slightly so that although "plugged in" it wasn't actually making an electrical connection.This is not the first time I've seen this problem.

Although supposedly a standard industry size I have found with the tolerance some fit loosely whilst others are a tighter fit and you need to make sure they are fully home.

VCR97 19:54 14 Oct 05

Associated with the CRITICAL DETECTOR is a VIP DETECTOR. This guarantees that a system which is being demonstrated to a VIP will fail even though it has just been thoroughly tested, and it will work perfectly once the VIP has departed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…