//some 3rd party need geo

No power, no lights, no sound is it dead?

pavel 08:33 05 Nov 04

Looking at a friends pc for him . Can't get it to power up. I have checked the obvious such as power from the socket, fuse in the plug, cable attachment and have even swapped out the psu with a known good one. Still to no avail Am I missing something ? I try the on button but nothing happens no lights, no sounds it appears to be dead. Could the cpu be "cooked"? Any ideas greatfully accepted.
Thank you
Pavel

dan 11 08:57 05 Nov 04

Strip it down to the minimum. Disconnect any cdrom \ dvd drives. Take out all pci cards, but leave the graphics card if it has one. Just leave the bootable hard drive, 1 stick of memory, cpu with hsf and the graphics device. Give that a whirl.

If that will not boot, then check the psu power connector to the board and also the power lead from the case to the motherboard ( from the on \ off switch.

if that will not boot, take the motherboard out and place on a sheet of cardboard, see if it will go to post,it may be shorting on the case.

SEASHANTY 15:08 05 Nov 04

For an in depth look at Power Supplies see this report by Scott Mueller
click here
I presume that you have also tried pressing the "RESET" button if the PC has one. It could also be that the ON/OFF switch is faulty.

SEASHANTY 15:19 05 Nov 04

Note also this paragraph from the links pn the left
pertaining to the POWER_GOOD SIGNAL
click here
which could also be the reason the PC will not start up.

Gongoozler 15:26 05 Nov 04

There is also the possibility that the power switch is damaged. In an ATX system (practically any computer made since about 1998) the power switch is a momentary contact switch that briefly short together the 2 power pins on the motherboard, so you can test the switch either with a multimeter, or you can touch the 2 pins together yourself. With some computer cases the switch can be pushed out of position by the button on the front of the case. I have repaired one of these by removing the front panel, repositioning the switch and locking it into place with a Tywrap and hot-melt glue. The power switch only works at 5 volts, so there is no mains voltage hazard.

SEASHANTY 20:14 05 Nov 04

The 20 pin connector to the M/B is shown on this webpage with info on pins click here

Gongoozler 08:18 06 Nov 04

Hi pavel. Good to see it's resolved. What was the cure?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…