no power to monitor or keyboard

hargranules 18:24 27 Aug 06

hi trying to mend my mums pc, packard bell windows 98.

When pc is powered up the monitor remains blank and there is also no lights on keyboard. Standy - by lights are on monitor and Pc makes normal noises, like it is booting up. If i put a cd in I can hear it spin.

Tried a different monitor but as i say no lights on keyboard either.

Any ideas????

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:02 27 Aug 06

1. remove keyboard, reboot see if moitor comes on and PC beeps for keyboard error.

2. remove and refit graphics acrd and reboot.

post back results

hargranules 20:10 27 Aug 06

removed keyboard no beep

am trying to locate graphics card cannot see it. The motherboard is packard bell tempest motherboard click here:

click here

woodchip 20:20 27 Aug 06

No Beeps probably you need a new PSU

hargranules 20:23 27 Aug 06

hi woodchip

have green light on pc when turn on and cd sounds like it is spinning - does this still indicate new psu

woodchip 20:27 27 Aug 06

Don't mean a thing when it comes to powering up Hard Drives etc

woodchip 20:27 27 Aug 06

PS the Mobo could be gone but PSU is cheaper to try first

hargranules 21:35 27 Aug 06

At present I have fortron / source model no: fsp235 - 60 gi

Looking on net i found that atx 300w replaces it as long as i check dimensions.

Anything else i need to check before i buy?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:51 27 Aug 06

PSU TEST
click here
click here

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply.

2. Power supply calculator click here

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

BRYNIT 22:37 27 Aug 06

Symptoms sound similar to what happened to my computer a few years ago. Found out that the modem was faulty.

If it has a modem remove it and try rebooting again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017