No power - except a flicker

scotbruce 00:51 02 Dec 05

Trying to fix friend's puter. MS 6183 mobo, Slot 1 P2 something, 128 MB RAM, onboard everything, LG GCE-8320B burner, Agere modem in a Tiny case, running W98 SE - except it ain't running anything!

Tried to switch on, front panel power and HDD lights flickered, fan turned very slightly and slight flash across monitor screen, which is on and looks like it's receiving a signal, CPU fan turned very slightly, then nothing. Push power button again and nothing at all.

Disconnect power lead and try again - as before.

No sign of any damaged caps or chips (that I can see), no smell, no more then normal dust. All connectors checked and fine. Changed power leads - as before.

Presumed (yeah, I know!) burnt-out PSU and installed new one.

Same as before, but worse. Tried to switch on, but now only slight flicker of front panel power light, nothing from HDD light or CPU fan and slight flash across monitor screen, which is on and looks like it's receiving a signal. Disconnect power lead and try again - same again.

Cleared CMOS - same again.

Read through relevant posts on forum.

Broke it down and removed everything except PSU and fan - mobo out of case and on phone book. Used screwdriver to short out front panel power pins.

Slight flicker of front panel power light, nothing from HDD light or monitor, fan turned very slightly, then nothing. Push power button again and nothing at all.

Disconnect power lead and try again - same again.

Think I've included everything I've tried. Can't add much more about the specs 'cos I've never seen it running. Would very much appreciate any suggestions - blown mobo?

Remember that I'm not as good with computers as it might sound, especially troubleshooting. I try to remember to check the basics first, but....

Thanks in advance.

Polopaul69™ 01:30 02 Dec 05

Have you checked the fan. Mine was acting up the other day, and it started loading windows, fan slowed down and i lost the image off the screen.

Got out the trusty hoover, and cleaned the fan completely, and now works fine. It could just be a bit of dust stopping the fan working. If your not careful as you said, you could blow the CPU (if not more). Never know, could be worth a try

scotbruce 01:46 02 Dec 05

Checked CPU and was firmly in place. Removed, cleaned, paste applied and re-seated, checked and fan cleaned - same again :-(

scotbruce 02:37 02 Dec 05

Brand new PSU - tried two other PSUs, same again!

scotbruce 02:52 02 Dec 05

Cant see anything amiss with the mobo - no multimeter or knowledge thereof. No other suitable mobo to try the CPU in. Looking like a bin job.... :-(

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 08:37 02 Dec 05

Remove - reseat memory and graphics card.

try with HDD and CD unplugged both power and IDE cables

scotbruce 11:10 02 Dec 05

"Broke it down and removed everything except PSU and fan - mobo out of case and on phone book. Used screwdriver to short out front panel power pins.

Slight flicker of front panel power light, nothing from HDD light or monitor, fan turned very slightly, then nothing. Push power button again and nothing at all."

Already tried - mobo must be dead.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:18 02 Dec 05

If PSU ok then mobo or CPU faulty

scotbruce 12:46 04 Dec 05

I'd hafta agree :-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…